Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

Default Re: 5wt line for distance

Use a shorter line.
    I have an old friend with a bum right thumb making griping anything or leveraging anything tough. After years of listening to him moan about not being able to cast a full line I pointed out that both Rio & S.A. make five weight entry and mid price point lines that are 80 feet long. Problem solved.

Dave

2. Thanks flav thanked for this post
    Likes Ard, Hirdy liked this post

Aerializing all that line is hard work. For distance I prefer to overline 2 or 3 line weights with a standard length head and shoot line for distance. Instead of multiple fase casts to get all that line in the air, it's one false cast, and shoot it out there. Plus it's much better in the wind, and my local lakes can get breezy. You don't get tournament distance, but you also don't have a sore shoulder or arm by the end of a day on the water.

4. Default Re: 5wt line for distance

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    Aerializing all that line is hard work. For distance I prefer to overline 2 or 3 line weights with a standard length head and shoot line for distance. Instead of multiple fase casts to get all that line in the air, it's one false cast, and shoot it out there. Plus it's much better in the wind, and my local lakes can get breezy. You don't get tournament distance, but you also don't have a sore shoulder or arm by the end of a day on the water.
    True that. That is exactly what I have been doing for the last few years. However I want to explore the other side of the spectrum as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oncorhynchus View Post
    True that. That is exactly what I have been doing for the last few years. However I want to explore the other side of the spectrum as well.
    That sounds great. It's always good to try something a little different. If you ask me the line tapers available these days are where all the big technological advances in fly fishing equipment are. Explore, have fun, and learn something new about this sport, it's one of the things that's kept me interested for over 40 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    With practice, two false casts will get a whole DT line out there or one false cast with a standard WF line*. And you'll do so without creating a commotion from that heavy line landing near the fish. Otherwise, you may as well be casting that 10wt line on a 10wt outfit instead of the 8wt.

I disagree about the wind, but that's another thread. (Shooting long line into a headwind is not great. Better to shoot into the back cast and produce a cast into the wind rather than a throw.)

Cheers,
    Graeme

* With enough dedication to practice, you can get beyond 65' with no false casts. Paul is casting with a 50' head in this video.

IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

A long belly rear weighted line like the Rio LT or new Orvis PRo allows you to carry a ton of line in the air and shoot the rest.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hate to speak poorly of any fish ... but, damn, that was really an ugly fish! but exciting anyway!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123