Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Identifying unmarked lines

Here's a couple of Bauer spools and a M3 reel. The spools are for a MXP2 I think.
    AAA2213.jpg

AAA2214.jpg

2. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

This is a Loop Evotec LW 4seven reel and spool
    AAA2215.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    Here's one puzzling me, while mteresko (Welcome! ) is busy test-casting .....

It's a Spey line which was given to me, used but good. It could be a few years old now, 5 or so.

The head is 55 ft at the rear taper's end and weighs 50g.
    The colour change at the rear taper starts at 58 ft, where the weight is 51g.
    The back taper is, imo, pretty hefty!

Attachment 15494

Attachment 15495

I've done a thorough search and just one line came to the top of the Prime Suspects list.
    Highlight here to reveal my guess -> A Rio Grand 10/11?

Edit: I've just noticed, the line looks crossed-over. I'll check .... before it matters!
    Based on that particular green, the running line, I think it is an Airflo line. The color of the head makes me think it is an Intermediate.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by mteresko View Post
    Here's a couple of Bauer spools and a M3 reel. The spools are for a MXP2 I think.
    AAA2213.jpg

AAA2214.jpg
    My guess #1 is Cortland peach, #3 guess is Airflo 40+??
    Danny

6. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

1. Peachy (left spool) looks like an Airflo Exceed (plus line similar to Sci Ang's GPX/MPX). Maybe a RIO color though.

2. Pale bright green (center reel) looks like a slightly older Orvis price point model - OR - because of the reel being sized for an 8wgt... could be a Steelhead taper, from either SciAngler or RIO.

apologies for the imperfect 'science'
    Last edited by e caster; 02-26-2019 at 12:00 AM.

8. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

The Loop on the right has backing and Amnesia ( mono shooting line - either 20 or 30 lb. ) on it and it's set up for shooting heads. Notice there isn't enough room for a full line to be loaded on it, but there is room to put a 30' shooting head on it.

The other loop could be many things, Cortland's made olive lines ( 555 for one ), but so has S.A..

That batch of Bauers looks like you've been dipping into my stash of reels. Those line colors could be just about any companies ( over time ), but Scientific Anglers made ( left to right ) Buckskin, Green & Sunrise colored lines, there's just not enough to go on, other than they appear to all be floating lines. Series, taper, etc. anybodies guess.

Dave

10. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I also collected a few mystery lines from reels I purchased. I bought a grain scale, measured off the requisite 30 feet, and measured them. It was easier than I expected and the results were good. Mind you, I didn't have any spey lines or shooting heads to deal with. It was easy, though, to tell a DT from a WF, and in most cases, sinking lines are colored differently. Brand and model of line, I can't help with.

12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
    I also collected a few mystery lines from reels I purchased. I bought a grain scale, measured off the requisite 30 feet, and measured them. It was easier than I expected and the results were good. Mind you, I didn't have any spey lines or shooting heads to deal with. It was easy, though, to tell a DT from a WF, and in most cases, sinking lines are colored differently. Brand and model of line, I can't help with.
    You're right. I have a small digital scale, and the first 30' of the line on the Loop reel came in at 170 grains, which puts it slightly higher than the 168 limit for a 6wt, close enough for me.

14. Default Re: Identifying unmarked lines

If the first 30 weigh 210, is it still a 8wt even if it says 7 on the box and the line itself is actually labeled 7?
    Last edited by denver1911; 02-28-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12