Identifying unmarked lines

mteresko

Reaction score
I've inherited a bunch of reels (Loop, Sage, Ross, Bauer) in a few different sizes, all with at least one extra spool, all loaded with lines and completely unmarked. Short of trying them out on different rods, is there any way to ID the lines? I'm not sure my skill level would allow me to evaluate them accurately anyway.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if there is an easy way but if I had the same situation I'd have to do the following.

1. Buy an affordable grain scale.
2. You need fly lines of known weight designations to use as your control group.
3. I think you know the rest, weigh the belly sections of the known lines and then the unknown lines. This will allow you to match lines to rods you own based on grain weights of the bellies weights.

willyf

Reaction score
If you take them into a good fly shop, there a chance that one of the shop guys could recognized the lines by color/coating/thickness/length of head/etc. Might be worth a shot. You can also take this as an opportunity to not be influenced by what the box says and try to match the lines to rods by casting them. I think that's an exercise that any fly fisherman could benefit from.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered a good digital grain scale because I have at least half a dozen good lines I have no idea of their weight. Mine are all likely to be 3-4 or 5 weights and I have little use for those weights. I'd sell them here if I knew what they were so I am getting a scale. Call it practicing what you preach.

ddb

Reaction score
Could be wrong on this but I have always weighed just the first 30' of a line to establish its size.

The gr wights are ranked within a range of line weights for each size.

You might even weigh a brand new line out of the box to get its true weight/size. Many modern lines are heavier than indicated by the size on the box to match the power in the fast graphite blanks now being used.

ddb

Hirdy

Reaction score
To add to Ard's note, I'd also buy some digital calipers to establish the line profile (taper lengths, head shape and length, etc). However, I'd really only do this if I actually needed to know the the exact details of the lines.

Now that I know a bit more about casting than in my early years, I'd just go out with a selection of rods and cast the lines with each rod. I'd match the line to the rods I own and leave it at that, and then fish that combo as required. Needing to know the make and model is pretty much redundant once I have the combinations sorted.

So, "short of casting each line" is probably the wrong way to think of it, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think there is any better method for establishing how I'd like to use those lines. Numbers won't tell me how I'll fish them.

Cheers,
Graeme

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I get what you are saying Graeme, I just ordered the scale because I want to sort the lot of them out and sell them. I may have more than I stated, there are a pretty good bunch.

e caster

Reaction score
1. Reel sizes (model and capacity) can be a good way to cull the numbers - especially for integrated lines.
2. Color (dead give away with many of the manufacturer's offerings)
3. Casting... fun!
4. Measure: weigh n mic
5. Informed fly shop
6. Post some photos - we all may be able to help solve the mysteries ;)

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Edit: Please ignore me now that the op is back - I don't want to hijack his thread.

6. Post some photos - we all may be able to help solve the mysteries ;)
Here's one puzzling me, while mteresko (Welcome! :) ) is busy test-casting .....

It's a Spey line which was given to me, used but good. It could be a few years old now, 5 or so.

The head is 55 ft at the rear taper's end and weighs 50g.
The colour change at the rear taper starts at 58 ft, where the weight is 51g.
The back taper is, imo, pretty hefty!

1-P1030268.JPG

1-P1030269.JPG

I've done a thorough search and just one line came to the top of the Prime Suspects list.
Highlight here to reveal my guess -> A Rio Grand 10/11?

Edit: I've just noticed, the line looks crossed-over. I'll check .... before it matters!

Last edited:

e caster

Reaction score
Here's one puzzling me, while mteresko (Welcome! :) ) is busy test-casting .....

It's a Spey line which was given to me, used but good. It could be a few years old now, 5 or so.

The head is 55 ft at the rear taper's end and weighs 50g.
The colour change at the rear taper starts at 58 ft, where the weight is 51g.
The back taper is, imo, pretty hefty!

View attachment 15494

View attachment 15495

I've done a thorough search and just one line came to the top of the Prime Suspects list.
Highlight here to reveal my guess -> A Rio Grand 10/11?

Edit: I've just noticed, the line looks crossed-over. I'll check .... before it matters!
Based on that particular green, the running line, I think it is an Airflo line. The color of the head makes me think it is an Intermediate.

Craig

e caster

Reaction score
1. Peachy (left spool) looks like an Airflo Exceed (plus line similar to Sci Ang's GPX/MPX). Maybe a RIO color though.

2. Pale bright green (center reel) looks like a slightly older Orvis price point model - OR - because of the reel being sized for an 8wgt... could be a Steelhead taper, from either SciAngler or RIO.

apologies for the imperfect 'science'

Last edited:

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
The Loop on the right has backing and Amnesia ( mono shooting line - either 20 or 30 lb. ) on it and it's set up for shooting heads. Notice there isn't enough room for a full line to be loaded on it, but there is room to put a 30' shooting head on it.

The other loop could be many things, Cortland's made olive lines ( 555 for one ), but so has S.A..

That batch of Bauers looks like you've been dipping into my stash of reels. Those line colors could be just about any companies ( over time ), but Scientific Anglers made ( left to right ) Buckskin, Green & Sunrise colored lines, there's just not enough to go on, other than they appear to all be floating lines. Series, taper, etc. anybodies guess.

Dave

weiliwen

Reaction score
I also collected a few mystery lines from reels I purchased. I bought a grain scale, measured off the requisite 30 feet, and measured them. It was easier than I expected and the results were good. Mind you, I didn't have any spey lines or shooting heads to deal with. It was easy, though, to tell a DT from a WF, and in most cases, sinking lines are colored differently. Brand and model of line, I can't help with.

mteresko

Reaction score
I also collected a few mystery lines from reels I purchased. I bought a grain scale, measured off the requisite 30 feet, and measured them. It was easier than I expected and the results were good. Mind you, I didn't have any spey lines or shooting heads to deal with. It was easy, though, to tell a DT from a WF, and in most cases, sinking lines are colored differently. Brand and model of line, I can't help with.
You're right. I have a small digital scale, and the first 30' of the line on the Loop reel came in at 170 grains, which puts it slightly higher than the 168 limit for a 6wt, close enough for me.

denver1911

Reaction score
If the first 30’ weigh 210, is it still a 8wt even if it says 7 on the box and the line itself is actually labeled 7? :D

Last edited:

sonicbluerider

Reaction score
Omg this is not what want i want to read. My new line came in. Was wondering what my old line is not buying a scale. Must be a easier way to tell