Recomendations for 4wt line

Reaction score
Guys, I don't know much about fly lines. Most of my reels have always come with a fly line on them already.

I am needed a new line for my TFO 4wt Finesse rod. I'd appreciate some recommendations.

If it matters, I fish for stocker trout in the winter when we have them here in Texas but 90% of my fishing is done in warm water. So this rod is more for trout 12" or less and small bass.

For panfish I go with one of my smaller rods.

Thanks for any recommendation.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
There are literally dozens of fly lines available, and everyone has a favorite, including your truly.

However, since you asked . . .

I like either SA Mastery Trout (Textured) WFF, or Airflo Ridgeline Tactical Trout. I tend to like the SA line a little better as it doesn't seem to coil up as much as most other lines, so less wonky knots if you allow too much slack line while casting/fishing. The Airflo tends to be cheaper, or at least it seems to always be on sale somewhere for about $45-$55, as opposed to $70+ for the SA. Used both lines for several years now, so they are durable as well.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
The TFO Finesse is a more full flexing rod, and as such, unless someone really wants to feel a rod load heavily, or is targeting close in presentations, or has another payload agenda, or just a particular preference, a true to weight line would be the appropriate recommendation. The above suggestion of SA Mastery Trout is one such true to weight line to consider. The only other thing I will point out would be textured vs smooth, again, a personal preference, the textured has the advantage of less surface friction which aids in both shooting line and general casting, and can provide benefit of additional flotation on water, although sometimes harder to keep clean. The smooth is easier on hands/fingers and is quieter going through the rod guides, and easier to keep clean and scum off of. Personally, the only swaying factor for me is the noise, when I'm fishing I don't want to hear the zipping sound of line going through my guides on every cast, but each to their own. A true to weight 4wt will weigh between 114 and 126 grains with a median dead on weight of 120 grains for the first 30' of head. Anything within that range is considered true to weight as you shop lines. For your usage, almost any quality maker will have a decent true weight offering. I wouldn't think by your description there would be any need to go to the expense of a top tier line series regardless of maker chosen.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
The TFO Finesse is a more full flexing rod, and as such, unless someone really wants to feel a rod load heavily, or is targeting close in presentations, or has another payload agenda, or just a particular preference, a true to weight line would be the appropriate recommendation.
I've got a 4 weight Finesse and I agree. You don't want to overload that rod. A lot of lines on the market today are heavier than the standard AFTMA rating.

I've got an Airflo Ridge Tactical WF4F on mine for two reasons: (1) I think a tactical taper allows you to cast with a little more delicacy and take advantage of the "finesse" that the rod is named for (but that's just my subjective opinion, and there are other similar presentation tapers from other brands that do the same thing), and (2) Airflo lines are impervious to DEET, so they are likely to last longer if you use insect repellent. But any true-to-rating 4 weight WF or DT floating line from a reputable brand will do the job.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
I agree, that rod will benefit from a true 4 weight line.

See: Frequency Trout Fly Line | Scientific Anglers

I double checked Rio but it seems that their Mainstream and Avid lines are both bumped up in grain weight as is the SA. Frequency Boost. We have one of these ( frequency trout ) in a four and it's about as slick and high floating as any. It's got a mid length head and relatively short front taper, all weather core and coating, it's also spot on in each line weight.

Dave

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sir,

Since you offered up that you don't know much about fly lines I would suggest you go buy some cheap fly line for about 15-20 bucks and you won't know the difference between a Rio gold are some used one. my 2 cents. I think Allen fly fishing and maybe Orvis offer some cheap stuff-CB

Reaction score
Guys thank you very much for the help.

I got away today without my cell phone and just got to this.

It seems as always, you guys have me fixed up with all the help and information.

Again I do appreciate the time you guys took to respond and share your information. It has been much appreciated.