Fly Line for Sage TCR

Orygun

Reaction score
This is actually my first post on here, but I've been a longtime lurker.

I just picked up a brand spankin' new Sage TCR 590-4 for a measly $375 (thank you TCX). I know Sage made its 110 ft. TCR Performance Taper specifically for the TCR, but I'm wondering about a couple of things:

(1) Anyone try the Performance Taper on their TCR? How did it compare to the top-flight RIO/SA/etc. lines (I don't really expect Sage to be in their league when it comes to making fly lines)? I know Sage is no longer making the PT, but I can still find some places selling it online...if it's the best thing for the rod, I can pick up a few.

(2) If the PT is not the best line, or if I'm unable to find any in the future, are the new "heavier" lines (e.g., RIO Grand) "enough" line for the rods, or is it probably just best to overline with a regular line (e.g., RIO Gold 6wt for my 5wt TCR)?

Any input you may have is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jackster

Reaction score
Since Rio and Sage are owned by the same investment company, I bet the Sage lines are pretty well dialed-in.
If I'm not mistaken, the 5 weight TCR weighs in on the CCS as a 6 weight.
Unless you're a brute at casting, I'm willing to suggest uplining at least one line size for normal fishing at normal fishing ranges using normal lines.

BigCliff

Reaction score
For fishability, I'd probably go with the new Sharkskin GPX line. Its a bit extra heavy, and that line REALLY does zing through the guides. If super long distance casting is what you're after, I'd go with Airflo's Ridge Distance line. Both of those suggestions are if you're going to get a 5wt line.

If you're going to upline, I'd go with SA's XXD line. Its not heavy for the line weight, and the long belly will work well with that rod. A newer and slightly different line would be Cortland's new Western Drifter line. SAme basic configuration, but its got a 3' high floating white tip to serve as an indicator.

Orygun

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Any idea on why Sage stopped making the 110ft Performance Taper line? I mean I know they're not making the TCRs anymore, but I would think it would be pretty sweet on the TCXs too.

I guess that's what worries me about buying the PT - obviously, Sage stopped making it for a reason. I wish I knew what that reason was.

Thanks again for the responses. I'll have to check out the Airflo Ridge Distance - I've always used either RIO or SA, but it sounds like something to check out.