Running line : common .022 running line, .017 double taper, Lazar or #20 maxima?

Boone61

Reaction score
Im sure this topic has been beat to death but im too lazy to scroll through all the topics. I plan on using a 3 wt rod one spool primarily for tight stuff and another spool for the other methods. Got any thoughts? Thanks folks

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Modern techniques must have passed me by some time ago because I can't imagine why you would need 20 pound Maxima as a running line on a 3 weight rod? I fish with 2 hand rods but it would be wrong to assume that I'm not familiar with traditional single hand casting and fishing. All my lines are 'full lines' meaning they have integrated vinyl clad running line fused behind the belly of the lines. As a personal preference I would not like the idea of loading my fly reels with mono line, just can't go there...…

So please tell me what it is you are up to Boone, BTW I grew up in PA and lived there a long time also. I still want to know what you're doing with this 3 weight?

Ard

Boone61

Reaction score
Unique style you have. 20lb mono is used by some ( hundreds ) of folks in place of Lazar, Cortland .022 etc.... to reduce sag on the longer casts ( 5 or 6’ ) of running line ( mono, Lazar, Cortland etc..) out past the tip. Most tightlining is done with nothing but the leader out past tip. On occassion, longer casts are required and mono is used in order to reduce sag in those instances. I may consider Trilene Big Cat #30 as well. Well, what im up to.....

randyflycaster

Reaction score
The problem I have with thin running lines is that they make it almost impossible to mend. Scientific Anglers, I believe, still makes a tapered running line but it is very expensive.

I made a few tapered running lines out of traditional, inexpensive fly lines. I just cut off much of the head.

Randy