Sinking shooting heads?

SRSteelheader

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a manufacturer currently making a short (10-13’) sinking shooting head in the 160-180 grain range? I’ve been searching and can find only SA’s short intermediate.

Thanks,
Marc

ryc72

Reaction score
Why not just try a sink tip? 12ft of T14 should get you the grain weight you are looking for. Just choose the sink rate you are going for.

huronfly

Reaction score
Why not just try a sink tip? 12ft of T14 should get you the grain weight you are looking for. Just choose the sink rate you are going for.
This is a good idea but will only give you one sink rate... But, a Heavy MOW or iMOW kit would also do it!

New edit: 15' 10wt replacement tips weigh in at 150 grains also

Last edited:

SRSteelheader

Reaction score
Yes, I have thought of going the tip route, but was not sure how well I could cast it (roll, spey, or overhead), or whether it will turn over without any taper. I have some 10 ft. and 12 ft. mow medium tips, I guess I will go out to the pond and give it a try on my three weight and see how it does. Has anyone else done this successfully?

Heading to Montana and Wyoming this summer and will spend a couple of days on an alpine lake. I don't lake fish and don't have a suitable rod for long casts besides my 7 wt. Sage X Switch and my 8 wt. Sage Response, so looking for long casts with some ability to sink up to 20' and still have a fairly straight line angle. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

SRSteelheader

Reaction score
Just reached out to Steve Godshall (thanks Danny!). He got back to me quickly and is going to make up a couple short skagit heads for me (one sinking, one intermediate). Says he can get them made tomorrow and shipped by this weekend. I spoke with him on the phone and he was VERY knowledgeable. Seems like a great guy and if his lines are half as good as his customer service then I know I will be very pleased. I'll let you know when I have tried them out how well they perform in my setup, but I have no doubt any limitation will be me, or my equipment, as I expect the lines will be top notch!

SRSteelheader

Reaction score
Received my heads from Steve and I also had him make a couple of sets of tips in two different sink rates. I have not had the chance to cast them yet, but I will say they are extremely well crafted and quite gorgeous; not to mention very reasonably priced for such high quality custom setups. Shout out to huronfly for the recommendation and to Steve (stevegodshall@charter.net) for great customer service, fast work, and a fantastic product! Steve will be my definite go-to for my future needs.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dillon

Reaction score
Congrats on your new lines, I hope you like them. I fish a Spey rod for steelhead, but I don't fish a trout Spey. I also do a fair amount of Stillwater trout fishing with single hand rods. When steelheading I prefer a bellied full fly line. However, I use shooting heads and tips for subsurface presentation. I like an intermediate head with a 10 ft T 10 tip for winter fishing. The sinking head gives me a little extra depth on the swing and it doesn't get pushed around by conflicting surface currents. I feel I have a more direct line to the fly than I do with a floating head.

For Stillwater fishing I like a full sinking intermediate line with a long monofilament leader for fishing lightly weighted streamers like my favorite, the seal bugger. Because of its slow sink rate I like to fish it in fairly shallow water. After letting it sink for 30 seconds (I can't wait longer than that) the fly is probably only 3-4 ft deep. However, I'm confident the fly is swimming on a pretty even plane on the retrieve. Frankly, I can't imagine a fly swimming on an even plane for very long at 20 ft. On any line. If I needed to fish that deep I'd probably be fishing a chironomid with a floating line and a very long leader and a strike indicator. However, I don't have much patience for that kind of fishing. I like to fish Stillwater's along the edges or on shoals where fish are on the prowl cursing for food and hopefully rising. Fish deep on the dog days doesn't interest me much. But those low light hours on a warm day might be a different story. Any, there's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps a little and have a great trip. I don't fish lakes when in Mt. but I might have to give it a try someday...