SA Infinity and Trout

steveid

Reaction score
Just picked up SA Infinity smooth and Amplitude Trout Textured in 4 and 5 weights. Anybody using these lines?

I typically fish Rio Gold and Rio Perception. I imagine these will fish very similar to Gold. Looking forward to comparing the two companies’ offerings, and then comparing smooth vs textured.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I've had my eye on Infinity for my 5 weight for a while. Keep us posted on how you like it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I think the new Amplitude technology is fine. I've cast (not fished) Infinity and for me, it is too forward weight biased, kind of an improved GPX if you will but with a long rear taper...I did not care for it. The Trout is a very fine taper, similar to Gold's. Mine are not the new Amplitude finish which I will try. Some rods, often smaller ones, seem to prefer the Trout while some more potent rigs like Gold better. I'm no fan of the sound or feel of texturing pushing me more toward the RIO Gold which also is available with their InTouch core technology which is inclined to sharpen some rods reflexes.

osseous

Reaction score
The delta in coating technology between the Amplitude series and a Rio freshwater line is VAST. I hope Rio brings their flats pro coating to the rest of their lines.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I think the new Amplitude technology is fine. I've cast (not fished) Infinity and for me, it is too forward weight biased, kind of an improved GPX if you will but with a long rear taper...
That sounds right up my alley! :) One man's trash...

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I have two new 4 wits this year to go with my long time S3 9’ 4. The new ones (to me) are the Sage One 486 and the 9’9” hardy Ultralite.

So I have been playing with different line combos for those rods.

So far, the Sage One likes Rio Gold and an old DT Spring Creek Orvis line, but it is even better with the Amplitude Smooth Trout. Dries and soft hackles only with that rod. Infinity not good with that rod.

The Hardy will cast anything, but the Trout and Gold seem better with lighter flies. Infinity will work for streamers and such, but not a first choice. Also trying mono rig for nymphing with that rod.

Scott S3 is only one that seems to prefer Infinity, which makes sense because, as S&S has pointed out before, that rod is really a 4.5 wt rod.

I think S3 and Infinity are not going to see as much water time as the other combos.

And I have never had a textured line to compare these to.

But these line preferences could change as I get more experience with the combos.

Because of the new rods, I haven’t even had my 5 wt rods out of the tubes yet this year, but I really want to try the Trout taper on those as well. Right now they are all set up with Rio Gold.

Don

bevanwj

Reaction score
I fish the Infinity on my 905 Scott Radian and I really like it. I just prefer the feel of SA's floating line coatings infinitely (excuse the pun) more than Rio's plastic feel or Airflos rubber feel. I also prefer the stealthy camo colour to the moss green/gold combination of the Rio Gold. I find SA's floating lines to have next to zero line memory unlike the Rio Gold which just about always need a bit of stretch before fishing. The only thing I don't like, and this applies to just about every floating trout line made these days is the use of two or three colours, especially gaudy colours. I prefer my lines dull and one colour only.

bob3700

Reaction score
A fishing buddy put the new Infinity line on his Winston 586 and ask me to cast it. I thought the line was perfectly matched to that rod. Having just completed an advanced casting class, I ran it through the various casts we had been working on and was pleasantly surprised with how easily it executed each cast.
It appeared to be a competitor for RIO Gold. The new slick line coating really shot thru the guides nicely and made casts at various distances very easy to accomplished.

taylorreels

Reaction score
I started using the Infinity before they released it to the public. It is by far my favorite trout line right now. Here are some things I like about it.

1. The line has little to no memory
2. I like the long head for both distance casting and mending
3. It's not as bulky as the MPX was towards the front
4. It has been durable
5. It shoots extremely well

I wish SA would release this line in a slightly lighter version (quarter heavy or closer to Rio Gold grain weights). My only complaint is that sometimes a half heavy line is too much line for a given rod.

osseous

Reaction score
I started using the Infinity before they released it to the public. It is by far my favorite trout line right now. Here are some things I like about it.

4. It has been durable

I wish SA would release this line in a slightly lighter version (quarter heavy or closer to Rio Gold grain weights). My only complaint is that sometimes a half heavy line is too much line for a given rod.
Infinity Smooth Trout?

taylorreels

Reaction score
The amplitude smooth infinity and amplitude smooth trout are different. I like both a lot. They are a similar taper but the trout is true to size and the infinity is half heavy.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
The amplitude smooth infinity and amplitude smooth trout are different. I like both a lot. They are a similar taper but the trout is true to size and the infinity is half heavy.
We hear about various rod designers using a particular line when they are working on a particular rod. For example, the Sage ONE was supposed to be designed with the Rio Gold line in mind.

Do you at Taylor do that with your rods? For instance with your new Truth rods did you consciously select a particular line as a target and then work to that as a standard? Or do you use some other approach? Some of us think that the Sage ONE in my example actually casts better with a slightly lighter line than the Gold, so in that case the design may have missed the mark slightly.

I’m just curious how you approach the design of rods. And most of your reply will be over my head, because I have no real design knowledge, just curious about how you approach that particular challenge.

Thanks,

Don

proheli

Reaction score

4. It has been durable

Agreed. Its surprising how much difference there is between .3 heavy Gold and .5 heavy MPX. I hadn't thought of that before, but a .3 heavy Infinity Trout could really be the sweet spot for 904's.

osseous

Reaction score
Which is what you said you were wishing for, no?

taylorreels

Reaction score
Which is what you said you were wishing for, no?

What I want is something in-between. Instead of .5 heavy something in the realm of .25 or .3

You can really tell the difference between half heavy and a quarter heavy. Half heavy can overload the blank at times. I really love the Rio Gold grain weight... but don't love the durability and coating as much.