fishing wyoming

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hello, i'm aware that some folks suggested a floating line to fish for browns and bows here in the great state of Wyoming where I just moved to. I can adapt to a floating line no problem but i'm so used to the pacific northwest and Alaska, that I have used a rio versi tip all the time.

I just feel with the different tips, I can be fishing with more readiness as conditions grant. But i'm no expert of trout. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Grizz

You have lots of options there in Laramie, there are numerous sage brush lakes within easy driving distance. A floating line plus those Versa tips will come in handy to explore the different levels within those lakes.

osseous

Reaction score
hello, i'm aware that some folks suggested a floating line to fish for browns and bows here in the great state of Wyoming where I just moved to. I can adapt to a floating line no problem but i'm so used to the pacific northwest and Alaska, that I have used a rio versi tip all the time.

I just feel with the different tips, I can be fishing with more readiness as conditions grant. But i'm no expert of trout. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
What type of waters are you targeting? I use essentially two lines for western rivers and lakes- and I fish a lot of different areas in several states: floater, and 10' fast sink tip. Aside from some specialty stuff- there is a lifetime of flyfishing you can do here with just those two. In fact, if you held a gun to my head- I could do it all with a 6wt... I'd just have to get creative with my leaders, and a few tiddlers would get flying lessons~

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right on thank you . Versi tip it is in a 6 wt. I have fished rivers all my life and really had a time fishing pyramid in NV, for 2 yrs. I like to try the diff depths to see what they will bite & depending on which hatch or bugs are in each different river or creek. & lakes��

Will be setting up my fly tying table soon and look forward to that but i am by no means a small sz 14 tyer�� do weighted ugly bugs with a copper John or prince nymph as a trailer work? I need to go to fly fishing school on trout

osseous

Reaction score
Size 14, small?! I'm in Colorado man- I wait all year to throw something that huge!!

Copper John is a fantastic choice for a trailer on those "easy" Wyoming trout ;0)
The key to tying that pattern is a smooth tapered underbody- use UTC 70 thread and spin your bobbin counter clockwise frequently to unwind and flatten the thread while forming that flat, tapered body. When you go to wind the wires- hold them close to the hook as you make those turns and angle back slightly as you go. You'll get that perfectly even body that way.

Try some Pheasant tail flashbacks, and another John Barr pattern (a Coloradan I might add) the Graphic Caddis. Size 14 is perfect.

Have fun- welcome to the neighborhood! (Come down to CO in the winter for some size 28 midge action!)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kevind62

Reaction score
The wonderful thing about WY is you can use any type of line at any weight. Any size and length of leader and tippet. And just close your eyes and grab any three flies out of any fly box in your arsenal and start casting. It doesn't matter because you'll always get the same end result because there are no fish in WY. :D At least that's what I've heard.

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fly lines fishing are coming back to me bc it’s been 10 yrs since I have handled a fly rod. Is there anyone that uses an aqua lux clear in rivers or is that line mainly used for Stillwater? I forgot some stuff. Maybe having more stealth in a presentation has any reputation for these fish in Wyoming & Colorado? Then ya start getting into having more spools! When I lived in AK I had 2 spools for my Ross 5 canyon.

I’m not gonna make it a scientific subject. But I guess as I check out those slow moving waters that clear would work well. Or I can always float fish with a spinning rod! In Oregon I did that a lot on steelhead

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I have mostly floating lines, but have two others for the following circumstances: sink tip for streamer fishing rivers (for this purpose you could of course just use your tips you’re already used to); and a full sink line for stillwater fishing. I’ve had much better luck fishing streamers with the the full sink on lakes in Colorado.

coolhand

Reaction score
Welcome to Wyoming!

For Wyoming, you will probably be fishing a floating line 90% of the time. Make sure that it loads your rod deeply, as you will need to dig into the reserve power of your rod to deal with the ever present wind, and you will probably use multi-fly rigs many times as well as bigger bugs.

I also utilize a sink-tip a fair amount for streamer fishing and stillwater work. Two styles get about equal use for me, a 10' clear tip intermediate sink tip, and a 10' Fast (Type 5-6) Sink Tip.

Most of the time you won't need to have delicate presentation to catch fish here. You can utilize small fly, light tippet, techniques if you prefer. But, leave that to the "Greenies" (Colorado residents) and visiting "Easterners". They'll be on the famous tailwaters, like "the ditch" (North Platte), Big Horn, or Green. If you avoid those places you'll find solitude and very good fishing.

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think i remember how i was set up for lake fishing in NV. but forgot the name of the running line. it was like mono but it's called something else. is it mono core? for longer casting if you take care of it! we then ran some mucelin onto it to help with flotation. Then used whatever tips i wanted. Yes, i better start thinking of lakes too now. Or maybe i can just go to a normal running line for the lakes. For bass, and or trout, should i invest in a float tube or pontoon? i'm sure i have to be careful in either if the wind comes up. Thanks

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Grizz

Over the past couple years, my main line for stillwater fishing has become an intermediate line that sinks 1-2 inches/sec.
The debate over a float tube or pontoon depends on how you use them. A float tube sits lower in the water so it isn't blown around by the wind as much as a pontoon. The pontoon gives you more mobility, so if you want to fish the other end of the lake its no problem, trying to kick your way over there in a float tube is a chore. That said I use a pontoon, but you get blown around more with the wind as it sits a little higher in the water. The other issue is how to transport a pontoon vs a float tube. Mine is a frameless model, so it folds up nicely and fits in the back of my Subaru, but it was expensive, around $1500 vs a couple hundred for a nice float tube.

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
wow 1500 for your pontoon. Well, congrats. you are very successful to be able to spend 1500 on a pontoon craft. thanks for your tip on the boats.

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to Wyoming!

For Wyoming, you will probably be fishing a floating line 90% of the time. Make sure that it loads your rod deeply, as you will need to dig into the reserve power of your rod to deal with the ever present wind, and you will probably use multi-fly rigs many times as well as bigger bugs.

I also utilize a sink-tip a fair amount for streamer fishing and stillwater work. Two styles get about equal use for me, a 10' clear tip intermediate sink tip, and a 10' Fast (Type 5-6) Sink Tip.

Most of the time you won't need to have delicate presentation to catch fish here. You can utilize small fly, light tippet, techniques if you prefer. But, leave that to the "Greenies" (Colorado residents) and visiting "Easterners". They'll be on the famous tailwaters, like "the ditch" (North Platte), Big Horn, or Green. If you avoid those places you'll find solitude and very good fishing.
the "Ditch" :D that's funny, well, maybe i'll stay away from the N. Platte, and go grab a spot down where the CO fly guys fish:D who wants to fish the big Wyoming "Ditch" anyway!! I need trees around me. Then once I move to Casper, i'll for sure buy me a new cowboy straw hat and fish the "Ditch"

Thanks again, I won't be getting the versi tip because where i'm buying from doesn't stock it. I guess getting 1 spare spool next month will be good enough, I just need to make a decision on a 3" IPS Rio streamer tip or 6" I think i'm leaning on the 6 IPS. My floating line can cover a lighter depth especially with a weighted leader, fly or when using flouro. Or tungsten above. Thanks a lot.

jdwy

Reaction score
Grizz

Over the past couple years, my main line for stillwater fishing has become an intermediate line that sinks 1-2 inches/sec.
The debate over a float tube or pontoon depends on how you use them. A float tube sits lower in the water so it isn't blown around by the wind as much as a pontoon. The pontoon gives you more mobility, so if you want to fish the other end of the lake its no problem, trying to kick your way over there in a float tube is a chore. That said I use a pontoon, but you get blown around more with the wind as it sits a little higher in the water. The other issue is how to transport a pontoon vs a float tube. Mine is a frameless model, so it folds up nicely and fits in the back of my Subaru, but it was expensive, around $1500 vs a couple hundred for a nice float tube.
Often when I'm lake fishing I run into a guy who has what's called a pedal fishing kayak. It's made by Hobie (the high quality small sail boat company?). It has pedals inside the hull so you never need to get your feet wet. A disadvantage is that it appears to be 12' long. He's made a support extension that fits in to his receiver hitch for the overhang in his truck bed. He's also got a wheeled contraption like the 2 wheeled deer transports for walking it the 1/4 mile to one of the lakes we fish. Couldn't find a price on their site, but I bet it's spendy.
Mirage Pro Angler 12 - Pedal Fishing Kayak | Pro Anglers | Hobie