Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mono vs fluoro

Blog Entries

Default Re: mono vs fluoro

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    I'd be curious to learn- on your bass combo, if you pulled to failure is the 12 lb flouro cutting that Maxima, or is the weaker flouro breaking?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Hi osseous, I have not as of yet pulled the knot to failure on my bass set up, the hook straightens out first when pulling it off a snag. That Maxima Chameleon 15# is pretty tough line. I've found it to be more critical as you use lighter pound lines knotted together. The result when those are pulled to failure is a little pig tail on my mono leader-the fluoro has cut through it.

Denny

2. Likes osseous liked this post

When I was living in florida and fishing salt, this became a big deal- an obsession. Add braid to the equation and I became rigging obsessed. That's why now, when tying knots between dissimilar materials I always pay attention to the number of turns, etc. In many cases it doesn't really matter- what are the odds of catching a 12 lb bass, for instance- but then, when you're obsessed you tend to do things that aren't always rational!

4. Likes dennyk liked this post

"Why else would every fly shop be selling those little squeeze bottles of “leader sink” that work for a while...."

I did not know this product was out there, still learning....

Quote Originally Posted by ratherfish View Post
    "Why else would every fly shop be selling those little squeeze bottles of “leader sink” that work for a while...."

I did not know this product was out there, still learning....
    "Xink"- red top on the bottle, instead of yellow like Gink

Thank you Mr. Denny, I've been away from using a fly rod close to 10 yrs and i'm getting back into it now that I'm living in WY. I never heard of a tippet ring but now I do. I like that set up. If you could help me again here.... for 2 ft rainbows and browns I was thinking of running perhaps 12" or more? 15 lb butt section, tied to the ring and my leader as well. But if my eyes aren't that great I think doing the double surgeon loop on both of them could work like it was mentioned.
    Sometimes you eat the Bear & sometimes the Bear eats you

8. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz900 View Post
    Thank you Mr. Denny, I've been away from using a fly rod close to 10 yrs and i'm getting back into it now that I'm living in WY. I never heard of a tippet ring but now I do. I like that set up. If you could help me again here.... for 2 ft rainbows and browns I was thinking of running perhaps 12" or more? 15 lb butt section, tied to the ring and my leader as well. But if my eyes aren't that great I think doing the double surgeon loop on both of them could work like it was mentioned.
    Hi Grizz-what style are you going to be fishing? Nymphs, streamers?

This is an example of how I rig mine:

Dry flies-tapered leaders 4X and lighter, if I need to add a tippet it's 3 or 4 pound Maxima Ultragreen or Orvis SuperSoft Plus tied to the leader with a double Surgeon's knot. -All Mono

Streamers-3 feet of Maxima 12# Chameleon to a small swivel to 3 or 4 feet of 8# Seaguar Fluoro.

Nymphs/Indicator- 4 feet 10# Maxima Ultragreen to 3 feet of 8# Max Ultragreen connected to the 10# with a double Surgeon's knot to a tippet ring to 3-4 feet 4x and lighter fluoro.

These are all used for trout in rivers.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Denny
    Last edited by dennyk; 07-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Double post
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz900 View Post
    Thank you Mr. Denny, I've been away from using a fly rod close to 10 yrs and i'm getting back into it now that I'm living in WY. I never heard of a tippet ring but now I do.
    Hi Grizz.

Your post about tippet rings reminded me that they are an excellent way to attach two dissimilar materials like nylon and fluorocarbon.

I have found that, at least for me, fluorocarbon to nylon knots tend to fail. My working theory is that the harder fluorocarbon cuts through the softer nylon especially as the nylon absorbs water and swells up.

I use either a tippet ring OR a triple surgeon's knot because both a blood knot and double surgeon's have failed when I used them.

Attaching Fluoro to Mono | Knot Tips for Fluorocarbon Tippet

Another article recommends the double uni knot but the triple surgeon's is so much simpler to tie.

How To: Best Knot For Monofilament To Fluorocarbon Connections

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

12. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post
    Likes ratherfish liked this post

You can simply increase the number of turns and still get good results with a blood knot. If the diameter is very different, you'll need an improved blood.

yes that's fine. I will experience it but I like the maxima 10lb to the ring and floro. Or double surgeon with straight mono. I've never fish indicators. I wish I could hire a guide. Sitting in the boat and having a guide teach me about trout is what I really need. If I can sell all my avian x duck and goose decoys, i'll have some xtra money to learn a lot.
    Sometimes you eat the Bear & sometimes the Bear eats you

15. Likes ratherfish, dennyk liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast