Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default A few general questions

    I am new to fly fishing, I have been spin fishing spring streams and my local small river with ultralight spinning gear for nearly 20 years and I am interested in taking up fly fishing as well. I have an Orvis Battenkill II on a 7' Eagle Claw Featherlight, a cheap setup but enough to get started. My questions relate to line, leaders, and tippets. I want to be able to use everything, dry, nymph, and streamer and I would like to be able to fish my small local river too, for this should I be using a WF or a DT line? Next is the leader, what length should I be using and is 3x ideal for 5wt when fishing for trout up to 25"?

    Again I am 100% new to fly fishing and do not know anyone that does, I apologize if I left any important info out, if so ask and I would be happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance for the help. Also I'm trying to see if I like the sport before I invest too much money into it, hence the cheaper gear, I will most likely be using more reasonably priced line such as Rio MainStream or Scientific Anglers Air Cell. Again if anyone has any better suggestions in the $30 range I am fully open to suggestions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,061

    Default Re: A few general questions

    One thing I recommend is to find a local fly shop or Orvis store. They have beginning fly fishing programs that are usually free. You can learn a lot in an afternoon or two.
    Mainline the blueline

  3. Likes proheli liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: A few general questions

    Trout up to 25" in a small river? that sounds pretty awesome.

    Local fly shop is definitely the way to go, as there's a lot of local specifics to the question you are asking that we don't know such as CFS, structure, how educated the trout are, etc. Generally speaking, its probably a little easier to throw a WF line for a beginner, and use 7-9 ft leaders for trout. Tippet size should generally be around fly hook size divided by 3 but can be obviously altered as needed.
    The addiction all began on the Cimmaron River in New Mexico...

  5. #4

    Default Re: A few general questions

    I have caught trout over 20" in the East Koy and Wiscoy creeks and the local river is the Genesee river where trout are at the top of the food chain at this end of it, and it's a much larger body of water but still not what I would call a large river. I'll try to find a local fly shop but that may be difficult without an hour drive. Thanks for the info given tho, and the trout range from native wild fish in the Wiscoy to stockies in the East Koy and everything in between, all brown and brook trout.

  6. Thanks ratchet thanked for this post
  7. #5

    Default Re: A few general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fisher King View Post
    I am new to fly fishing, I have been spin fishing spring streams and my local small river with ultralight spinning gear for nearly 20 years and I am interested in taking up fly fishing as well. I have an Orvis Battenkill II on a 7' Eagle Claw Featherlight, a cheap setup but enough to get started. My questions relate to line, leaders, and tippets. I want to be able to use everything, dry, nymph, and streamer and I would like to be able to fish my small local river too, for this should I be using a WF or a DT line? Next is the leader, what length should I be using and is 3x ideal for 5wt when fishing for trout up to 25"?

    Again I am 100% new to fly fishing and do not know anyone that does, I apologize if I left any important info out, if so ask and I would be happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance for the help. Also I'm trying to see if I like the sport before I invest too much money into it, hence the cheaper gear, I will most likely be using more reasonably priced line such as Rio MainStream or Scientific Anglers Air Cell. Again if anyone has any better suggestions in the $30 range I am fully open to suggestions.
    I am not going to pull any punches here because you need to hear the truth. I am not going to tell you you did the right thing by buying equipment first and then asking for advice. I really don't care for the Eagle Claw fly rods as an all around fly rod. They are better as small stream rods.

    I know that there are fans of the Eagle Claw. I am not one of them.

    The 7 ft Eagle Claw is a whippy fiberglass rod. In my opinion it is really not a good rod for nymphing although you could fish a dry dropper with the dropper as the nymph. The reason is it not a good nymphing rod because the rod has a built in delay in reaction time due to it's whippy action. It is also very short (7 ft) as nymphing rods go. For the same reason it is not a great streamer rod because it is a poor rod for setting the larger hooks on streamers.

    Nevertheless it is what you have. Had you not bought a rod, I would have suggested the Echo Base which is about $99.00 and so much better for an all around fly rod. It certainly is worth the extra $70 over the cost of the Eagle Claw.



    Echo Base - Yellowstone Angler

    2017 5-weight Shootout - Yellowstone Angler

    As for whether to buy a DT line or a WF line, I doubt you will be able to cast into the running line with the Eagle Claw so there is no point in buying a WF line.

    As for a leader, I suggest that you start with a 7.5 ft leader with that 7 foot rod. You could try a 9 ft leader but it will be easier to cast a shorter 7.5 ft as the beginning leader.

    There is a level section of mono at the end of the leader. This is the tippet and you do NOT use one thickness for all flies as you think when you asked "is 3x ideal for 5wt when fishing for trout up to 25" The X size is the diameter of the tippet and varies with the size of the fly rather than the size of the trout.

    Read this about leaders and tippets:

    Fly size tippet size?

    Finally, the equipment you have has a great deal to do with how much you will enjoy fly fishing. So equipment has an effect on your ability to cast and manipulate the fly line by mending line during and after the cast.
    Regards,

    Silver



    "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

  8. #6

    Default Re: A few general questions

    Thank you for the thorough advice and I actually bought the reel to match the rod which I got for free, so no big loss there. I will look into a better rod in the future, so far the reel is the only thing I have any money invested in which is because of lack of information and lack of spare cash.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eastern Iowa, Southern Driftless
    Posts
    7,920

    Default Re: A few general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fisher King View Post

    Again I am 100% new to fly fishing and do not know anyone that does, I apologize if I left any important info out, if so ask and I would be happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance for the help. Also I'm trying to see if I like the sport before I invest too much money into it, hence the cheaper gear, I will most likely be using more reasonably priced line such as Rio MainStream or Scientific Anglers Air Cell. Again if anyone has any better suggestions in the $30 range I am fully open to suggestions.
    My words of advice would be to stay active on this forum for the free education from very competent fly anglers. You'll learn where the good sites are for closeout deals on fly lines and such. After 50 posts you can use the classifieds. By next spring you'll have a better idea of how to deploy your limited funds on your next rod and reel. Yes there will be more if you stay with the sport.

  10. #8

    Default Re: A few general questions

    Thank you all very much for the sound advice, I will continue to ask questions and read about the sport in my free time. Will likely be spring before I do much if any fly fishing.

  11. #9

    Default Re: A few general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fisher King View Post
    Thank you for the thorough advice and I actually bought the reel to match the rod which I got for free, so no big loss there. I will look into a better rod in the future, so far the reel is the only thing I have any money invested in which is because of lack of information and lack of spare cash.
    If the rod is free and you will later be buying a better rod, you might learn to cast further. So the WF line could be better for you later on. It all depends on the distance you will fish at. The Sci Anglers Air Cell is a 1970's generation fly line. I think it might have been the line that introduced air filled glass beads to floating fly lines.



    I think you will need a fly line treatment to treat the surface so it stays slick. It won't be the self self lubricating surface of modern fly line. I suggest you buy some Scientific Anglers line dressing.



    Regards,

    Silver



    "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cody, WY
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: A few general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fisher King View Post
    Thank you all very much for the sound advice, I will continue to ask questions and read about the sport in my free time. Will likely be spring before I do much if any fly fishing.
    Well hang in there. Like you, decades ago I was a spin fisherman and one day I went into the local fly shop and said, "Don't mean to be an A******, but what's the big deal about fly fishing, I see them beating the water while I'm catching fish on a Mepps spinner?" He said, "Well, fly fishing raises fishing to a way higher level of fun once you get into it." True story, the more you do, the more you learn, as time went by, I started tying my own flies, made 2 rods from Sage blanks and on and on. There's worse addictions, have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Single hand Spey line setup and general questions
    By exal in forum How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2019, 10:02 AM
  2. General setup questions
    By booone0 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-31-2014, 12:07 PM
  3. General tackle questions
    By busbus in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM
  4. Moving to CO feb 1st. Questions questions questions
    By romanl in forum Rocky Mountain Range
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM
  5. A few general questions
    By coloradoavalanche in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •