Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

Default Thoughts on using protectant on floating lines

I just invested a C-Note on a Rio "In Touch" Gold line. Which I applied some 303 protectant on it ( the first 10 feet). Seemed like a good idea. Dunno. What thoughts do you have on protecting floating lines?
    “one opportunity, one encounter”
    一期一会

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thoughts on using protectant on floating lines

I just use them, if they become dirty and begin to not float high and lift easy I wipe the line by drawing through paper towel. That removes most grime, then I use the Loon Products line dressing kit that I've had nearly 10 years. The kit is pretty good and obviously lasts for years. I did run out of Loon Glide and am using a Rio product now. I don't know what 303 is....

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes jangles liked this post

Seems unnecessary to me. I apply a line cleaner (Rio Agent X or equivalent) with a cloth pad before every trip on my trout lines.

I guess I should wash them once a year in soapy water.... but don’t.

I would advise against using a paper towel in the cleaning process as there are abrasive fillers that are used in them that will damage a fly lines exterior. Cotton is the way to go.

My personal opinion of course.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Quote Originally Posted by losthwy View Post
    I just invested a C-Note on a Rio "In Touch" Gold line. Which I applied some 303 protectant on it ( the first 10 feet). Seemed like a good idea. Dunno. What thoughts do you have on protecting floating lines?
    Do NOT use automotive products like Armorall or 303 Protectant on fly lines!

Rio used to have this warning on it's web site ""We strongly suggest not using the many automotive products that are recommended for cleaning fly lines. These products have chemicals in that will certainly de-plasticize the fly line, leaving it dry and cracked over time. Use a cleaning agent manufactured and sold by a fly line company."

It is still on this link:

Cleaning Fly Lines | Rio Fly Line Cleaning Products - Minturn Anglers

Interview with Simon Gawesworth from Rio Products on Sexyloops:

“How best to treat Rio Lines? What do you personally use (silicone spray? Armorall?)

"Never, ever use Armorall on a PVC fly line. It breaks down the bond and results in very poor durability. The line will dry out and harden with constant use of Armorall. We recommend a mild soapy water with a flannel to clean the line, then if you want to re-lubricate it, apply a 100% silicone, though very lightly. All PVC fly lines use silicone as a lubricant, so it is best to use the base ingredient to prolong the line's life."

Manufacturers Section
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

6. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

I have an aresol can of silicone lubricant in the garage.

Is this the type of silicone you mean?
    -Rick Allen

303 is NOT the same as Armor All. 303 is safe for PVC. It is an excellent UV inhibitor and keeps the material supple. Armor All is the stuff you want to avoid.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

9. Thanks losthwy thanked for this post

It's easy. If you drop a C-Note on a line, do whatever the manufacturer recommends, and don't do anything they don't recommend.
    Zackdog lives.

11. Likes iv_wjb, Ard liked this post

I wash my lines in soapy water and polish them with Tiemco line-dressing when they get dirty, then they become as new again.
    Kent

For my bad English.

13. Likes jangles liked this post

Really just mild soap diluted in warm water and a clean soft cloth is all that is required. You do not want to use products that accelerate the migration of imbedded plasticizers. I like to hook my fly to a flexy tree branch, strip my line off my reel as I walk across a meadow and lean the rod against another branch, walk a wet lightly soaped up rag back and forth a couple of times then repeat with a clean just water weted cloth and finally a dry cloth. Sit down in camp, sip my pre dinner whisky then get my butt up and reel the line back on...nice and evenly level wound thank you. Yes, I do carry in my kit some of that RIO line cleaner but only occasionally, if things are really ichy do I use it. Do not use a lot of pressure or anything even a little abrasive. The chemistry of modern PVC lines is intended to be fine as is without additives on their surfaces. It happens I fish very dirty, organically fecund rivers like the Henry's Fork and Missouri and lines work best when clean.

15. Thanks losthwy thanked for this post

I too use warm water and mild soap (Dawn) to clean both my fly lines and glass lens sunglasses. Once in a while I treat them with Umpqua Glide Line Dressing usually when I am at home on a cold or rainy day.

I also use the multiple bucket method described on Rio's website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast