Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can my fly line work for my new euronymphing rod?

Quote Originally Posted by caddis75 View Post
    Thanks all. I got a little confused after watching some videos on rigging. I appreciate the advice.
    YouTube has a clip of Lance Egan and Devin Olsen discussing their favored leaders and how to build them- You can go with one of those, and lengthen the butt section if need be. I like a tricolor sighter, tied with blood knots with the tags cut to about 1/4". Orange, chartreuse and white- you will see that in any type of light.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

While I don't do any euro nymphing, I did read the book Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel that was very informative. The different rigging styles for euro and other types of nymphing are illustrated and are well covered in this book.

Denny

3. Likes clouserguyky liked this post
  4. Default Re: Can my fly line work for my new euronymphing rod?

Another advocate for the mono rig here. I use 20-40' of #20 Maxima Chameleon to my sighter, tippet ring, and tippet section. I rig that leader to the end of a WFF line that pretty much never comes off the spool, but its there if I want to switch to a more traditional leader set up. As osseus mentioned, euro fly lines are basically pointless unless you're competing and therefore hindered by official rules that limit leader length. A #3-4 WF line should work well enough on that rod.

Quote Originally Posted by clouserguyky View Post
    Another advocate for the mono rig here. I use 20-40' of #20 Maxima Chameleon to my sighter, tippet ring, and tippet section. I rig that leader to the end of a WFF line that pretty much never comes off the spool, but its there if I want to switch to a more traditional leader set up. As osseus mentioned, euro fly lines are basically pointless unless you're competing and therefore hindered by official rules that limit leader length. A #3-4 WF line should work well enough on that rod.
    Hi Clouser,

I seem to always be trying to steal or at least borrow some of your knowledge/experience.

So you go directly from the Maxima butt section to what size and make of sighter? How long is your sighter? And then right to tippet rigging?

I have built a mono-rig using the Troutbitten recipe, but instead of the tapering pieces (and numerous knots) I go from the long hunk of Maxima to a 4 foot furled leader and then to about 2 foot length of 0X sighter and then to the tippet rigging.

Do you have any hinging or other problems by skipping the transition or tapering portion of the leader? If that works just as well then I would love to go straight from the butt to the sighter.

Thanks for your continued coaching.

Don

6. Likes clouserguyky liked this post
  7. Default Re: Can my fly line work for my new euronymphing rod?

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    Hi Clouser,

I seem to always be trying to steal or at least borrow some of your knowledge/experience.

So you go directly from the Maxima butt section to what size and make of sighter? How long is your sighter? And then right to tippet rigging?

I have built a mono-rig using the Troutbitten recipe, but instead of the tapering pieces (and numerous knots) I go from the long hunk of Maxima to a 4 foot furled leader and then to about 2 foot length of 0X sighter and then to the tippet rigging.

Do you have any hinging or other problems by skipping the transition or tapering portion of the leader? If that works just as well then I would love to go straight from the butt to the sighter.

Thanks for your continued coaching.

Don
    Hey Don,
    Always happy to share info and always hopeful that its helpful!

For me, the only taper in my mono rig is my sighter itself. I use 9-10 of 15lb Red Amnesia to 9-10 of 12Lb Gold Stren to my tippet ring. So my sighter is about 18-20. I like to run a bright backing barrel at the junction between sighter materials too.

Below the sighter, Im running one diameter of tippet below the water. Sometimes, when fishing indicators, Ill add a section of 3x before my actual tippet, but usually just straight 4-6x.

Doms formula does turn over better, especially with dry droppers. But I keep mine simple and it works fine for most of my nymphing and streamer fishing, and if I really want to fish dries Im switching to a normal leader.

I will say, adding a furled leader into the system may introduce a little more sag than your standard mono rig if there is such a thing. And I mean a little sag. Not sure if itd be enough to matter or not seeing as its still all mono. It would probably only matter in extreme cases.

8. Thanks sparsegraystubble thanked for this post
    Likes MichaelCPA liked this post

I believe you will give up sensitivity by going furled- with no upside.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10. Thanks sparsegraystubble thanked for this post
    Likes jangles liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by clouserguyky View Post
    Hey Don,
    Always happy to share info and always hopeful that it’s helpful!

For me, the only taper in my mono rig is my sighter itself. I use 9-10” of 15lb Red Amnesia to 9-10” of 12Lb Gold Stren to my tippet ring. So my sighter is about 18-20”. I like to run a bright backing barrel at the junction between sighter materials too.

Below the sighter, I’m running one diameter of tippet below the water. Sometimes, when fishing indicators, I’ll add a section of 3x before my actual tippet, but usually just straight 4-6x.

Doms formula does turn over better, especially with dry droppers. But I keep mine simple and it works fine for most of my nymphing and streamer fishing, and if I really want to fish dries I’m switching to a normal leader.

I will say, adding a furled leader into the system may introduce a little more sag than your “standard” mono rig if there is such a thing. And I mean a little sag. Not sure if it’d be enough to matter or not seeing as it’s still all mono. It would probably only matter in extreme cases.
    Thanks Clouser,

I will pick up some of your sighter material and give that a try. Is there a reason that you use two different types of sighter material or is it just to get a bit of taper in your leader?

Still working on picking up a 10 foot 5 wt rod. Have made some offers on H3Fs on eBay but haven’t ended up with a rod yet. Still haven’t written off the 597 Sage X or the Zephrus.

Go catch some fish.

Don

12. Likes clouserguyky liked this post
  13. Default Re: Can my fly line work for my new euronymphing rod?

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    Thanks Clouser,

I will pick up some of your sighter material and give that a try. Is there a reason that you use two different types of sighter material or is it just to get a bit of taper in your leader?

Still working on picking up a 10 foot 5 wt rod. Have made some offers on H3Fs on eBay but haven’t ended up with a rod yet. Still haven’t written off the 597 Sage X or the Zephrus.

Go catch some fish.

Don
    Any time! No major reason I use Stren and Amnesia besides that its locally available for me, and I can buy it in bulk compared to the two-tone sighter material that comes on a tippet spool. I also love those two materials because they're very visible in a wide variety of conditions. I can pretty much always see at least one of them no matter what, and usually I can see both. Not to mention they are a little stiffer than sighter material from Orvis, Rio, etc., which I personally like, and they hold no memory if stretched. Whatever I use, I do try to have a little bit of a taper there in the sighter. You could substitute for any material that you like though!

I hope you find a rod that you like!!

14. Thanks sparsegraystubble thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12