orvis bankshot fly line

partsman

Reaction score
Well I got my recon 9 ft 6 in. rod yesterday, everything looks really good, wraps are nice and tight, guides all line up nice, and the blank looks really nice. The one thing I overlooked was I don't have a 6 wt line, so I start looking on the orvis website and there they have the Bankshot lines on sale. Its like a 30.00 dollar savings so I orderd the 6 wt. wf. line floating line, I may also order the sink tip, but I don't want push my luck to much with the lady of the house. :) Just wondering if anyone has had some experience with these lines, any thoughts?

Thanks, Mike.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Bankshot is great, but it is designed for a very specific type of streamer fishing, generally fishing from a boat and casting large flies to the bank. It's designed to load with one false cast and shoot however much running line you have off the reel basically. These lines are a lot of fun for that type of fishing, but you'll find it is pretty limited to only that kind of fishing. It's very, very heavy at 240 grains for the #6 bankshot line. In terms of AFFTA standards, that is actually a 9 weight line.

So if you're going to be floating down the river chucking articulated flies to the bank, you should be in good shape. But if you want to use that 9'6" rod for nymphing or dry flies, you'll most likely want something a bit more versatile. Consider the Orvis Hydros WF6F line that is also on sale, or lines like SA Infinity, SA MPX, or something along those lines for all arounders on that rod.

partsman

Reaction score
Thanks clouserguyky, yes for right now Im streamer fishing this rod, I will be adding other lines in the future, Im thinking a glow in the dark for the hex. I have other rods I prefer for dry flies, and really I love the recon 10 ft. 3 wt for just about everything other than tossing streamers. I have the Gloomis nrx lp 5 wt, and the recon 5wt. for most of other fishing, but I also have a couple of rods made by Chris Barclay, his very sweet 70p, and also the 8ft 2 in synthesis rod. And then there is my steffen 3/4, and the orvis superfine touch 3 wt. Yea Ive the sickness bad! I still have the very first flyrod I ever had, my girl friend bought it for me in 1974, a ff806, oh and yea I married her!

Thanks,mike

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread Hijack!

Who do you figure makes up all these names for lines? Jeez there are more than I can even remember, maybe there's a job opportunity there somewhere :D

It's almost like looking at paint samples at a paint store, so many names for colors all of which are basically off white...….

Don't get me wrong, I use fly lines but started this during the days when there were only a few names. Stuff like DT - WF - Level and then around 78 or so came the Rocket Taper. I think that may be the one that got it started, Rocket, it has its implications doesn't it? I'm pretty sure that all my lines now might be Rocket Tapers and the Bankshot sounds like one too ;)

jdwy

Reaction score
Who do you figure makes up all these names for lines? Jeez there are more than I can even remember, maybe there's a job opportunity there somewhere
I was thinking just the other day, SA needs to insert another couple words in their Amplitude Smooth Infinity line. Sure like that line though.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you there :)

It's like full moons, up until about 10 years ago they were known as "full moons". Of course there was the Blue Moon which comes... well, once in a blue moon, right? Now they all have names. Last year I named one myself but it never caught on, I called the 'wolf blood moon' > The Lon Chaney Tear your Throat Out Wolf Blood Moon, but like I said it just never took off :confused:

partsman

Reaction score
I got the Bankshot 6 wt.wf yesterday, of course I had to put it on a reel and give it a go, wow! Im gonna like this for the river Im fishing right now with streamers. Ard, I watched your video this morning on streamer fishing and you got me thinking, which can be dangerous! I have a t-8 mow, 10ft. long, I put it on the line and its all to much, I have to figure out a proper length for this, I think it would be cool if I need to get deeper, it didn't work out for the lower Ausable steelhead fishing way to light. My question is if I start cutting on this thing how to I attach my tippet to it without a loop? Would a nail knot hold on the rio t-8? This is going to kinda fun.
Mike.