Backing Line Color

dipaoro

Reaction score
What color line backing do you use?

Do you find colored backing can bleed on the fly line?

osseous

Reaction score
Use 16 strand gel spun- and the issue goes away. I like the Hollow Ace 40lb from PowerPro in blue- but any 8 strand or 16 strand gel spun will do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

flytie09

Reaction score
I use them all. I’ve never had a backing bleed yet. I’ve had some crummy lines do so though.

For curiosity sake...... does it really matter?

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've used white regular dacron & orange Micron & have never had any color bleeding issue. Might depend on the brand you use. Cortland Micron in orange is what I used. Otherwise, white can't bleed.

bumble54

Reaction score
Colour has never been an issue for me nor has colour bleed, what is important is how it handles should I ever need it, not that I need it very often. At the moment I have braided hollow core Terylene on all my reels but only because someone gave me a load of the stuff, handles OK and is high viz. I like it because it lies flat and you can get more on the reel which saves on bulk.

okaloosa

Reaction score
yes, they can bleed...
but I have had problems with gelspun "biting" into itself under lots of pressure when fighting tarpon and sailfish so I think white dacron is best...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I use gel spun in the salt and still use Dacron on most of my trout reels. I have commercial size spools of 30# in bright orange and 20# in chartreuse yellow. But I have individual reels that I had backing mounted on in shops in pink, blue and last season in Craig, they put on this multi-color SA backing that shows up in alternating bands through the reel's porting, cool. I have seen rare cases of slight color bleeding onto the rear end turns of fly line but not recently and no biggie anyway. I like colored backing and when a fish does show me my colored string I like it and I like to see it. Sometimes I mount a few yards of contrasting color backing between the doubled Bimini going to the end of the line and the standing backing so I know just where the end of my fly line is when Mr. Bone streaks toward the mangroves that I refuse to allow him to enter. The only color backing I never use anymore is white and I have not and may not try black either.

flav

Reaction score
I've had both yellow and orange dacron bleed too. It's a bit annoying, but it doesn't effect the performance of my gear so I don't worry about it too much. I have blue backing on one reel, and it hasn't bled yet, but I'm not too worried either way.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
yes, they can bleed...
but I have had problems with gelspun "biting" into itself under lots of pressure when fighting tarpon and sailfish so I think white dacron is best...
I do not use gel spun to add capacity, all my reels have plenty of capacity. Hence I do not use thin gel spun but like 80# so I have 30# Dacron diameter to handle and lay down more uniformly as I do not want to experience any backing biting into its own base. Thin gel spun can cut into fly line coating too. Recently I built a twin double Bimini section of heavy Dacron to interface between my DC fly line loop and thin gel spun on a loaner reel. I like Bimini Loops but salty WJC uses all hollow core gel spun so he can custom splice his backing.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I do not use gel spun to add capacity, all my reels have plenty of capacity. Hence I do not use thin gel spun but like 80# so I have 30# Dacron diameter to handle and lay down more uniformly as I do not want to experience any backing biting into its own base. Thin gel spun can cut into fly line coating too. Recently I built a twin double Bimini section of heavy Dacron to interface between my DC fly line loop and thin gel spun on a loaner reel. I like Bimini Loops but salty WJC uses all hollow core gel spun so he can custom splice his backing.
I would use #50 gel spun and do a single bimini to loop onto the dacron top shot loop but i never double bimini my dacron because the knots were too bulky for my liking....I made the loop by inserting the tag end back into the hollow dacron 18 inches or so and bind down with the dental floss...I dont know the name of that "knot' but acts like a chinese finger trap...the fly line was inserted into the hollow of the other end of the dacron and bound down by dental floss..........I have always found when getting that far back into the backing with a big fast fish the best thing to do is actually let off most of the drag and back down/or chase the fish with the boat.

osseous

Reaction score
10 wt and up gets spliced directly to the flyline. Then I throw two micron nail knot "locks" over the top and coat those with a touch of flexible UV resin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I think making splices like you describe is smarter than what I do with Bimini's. They are bulkier no doubt but I do smooth my lock knots with a little coating of UV cure resin. I'm just so long in the habit of fashioning 50 twist Bimini's that I can't help myself. Perhaps if I had more tarpon opportunities...

okaloosa

Reaction score
I think making splices like you describe is smarter than what I do with Bimini's. They are bulkier no doubt but I do smooth my lock knots with a little coating of UV cure resin. I'm just so long in the habit of fashioning 50 twist Bimini's that I can't help myself. Perhaps if I had more tarpon opportunities...
If you havent tried it yet (but I bet you have) try tying the Australian braid in place of the bimini....I used them on my sailfish leaders....I am convinced it acts as a better shock absorber...plus it helps you pass the time at night on those cold days..very time consuming...

Australian Braid Knot | Fishing Knots | Animated Knots by Grog

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've never noticed if my backing color ever bled out.
Do you know why that is.?
Cuz I don't give a **** and I doubt that the fish care either.

In other news, Do these waders make my ass look fat ?

duker

Reaction score
I've got both chartreuse and orange dacron on my various reels. I prefer orange and use it when I can find it--you can easily tell when you're into your backing, and I think that orange just looks cool.

Scott

okaloosa

Reaction score
I've never noticed if my backing color ever bled out.
Do you know why that is.?
Cuz I don't give a **** and I doubt that the fish care either.

In other news, Do these waders make my ass look fat ?
it actually does matter if you fish clear intermediate fly line and it turn chartreuse or orange because of bleeding ....
as far as your ass looking fat, you will have to ask the new wave of Orvis feminist fly fisherman that question....

Last edited: