Right Size Flyline

keysman

Reaction score
I have a St. Croix 7/8 flyrod. For saltwater and longer casts would anyone recommend a wf 7, 8 OR 9?
Thanks,
Keysman

trev

Reaction score
Not an expert, but I've messed around with fly gear for a few decades and my general rule is that for short casts go to a heavier line and for long casts use a lighter line- but then that varies with the kind of cast used, if using a shooting cast with a short head the line weight can be quite heavy in comparison, because so little line is actually used to make the cast and the heavy head drags the light running line along. In other words your casting ability and style are part of the equation, as is your rod length and the stiffness of that particular rod. It's a balance of several mechanical aspects.

Give the experts more info on both the rod and your ability to shoot rocketing casts out to thousands of feet.
Oh, will you be wading or standing on a boat?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a St. Croix 7/8 flyrod. For saltwater and longer casts would anyone recommend a wf 7, 8 OR 9?
Thanks,
Keysman
I have a St Croix Legend 10wt and I fish a 12 wt floating line and a 10wt full sinking line on it
On my old St Croix "Pro Graphite" 9wt I fished a 9wt line

JoJer

Reaction score
I have a St Croix 8 wt 9' Pro Graphite. It's 10-15 years old. It's pretty noodly. For a long time, I had an 8 wt WF 8 on it and the range was pretty dismal. A few years ago, I switched to an 8 wt bug taper. Much better. I have fished a 10 wt quad tip on it and got a bit more range, but not enough to get out from the jetty against a headwind.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
With my Pro Graphite 9wt I could cast a full line
I thought that was pretty amazing for a rod that cost less than a hundred bucks

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My eldest St.Croix is a 3-pc. 9'/#9 Legend Ultra. It's thick and heavy and while not a ton of fun throws a 9-weight line effectively and is rugged. Usually, when a rod is rated "7/8", I find the lighter line is better but only casting will tell. There are some fine fly shops at both ends of the Keys where you can likely try lines of both sizes to determine what works...and then they will happily spool a new line up for you of the appropriate type.