Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default scientific anglers amplitude smooth trout vs scientific anglers mastery vpt

Hello
    Which one will be better for medium distance and soft presentation dry fly?

Default Re: scientific anglers amplitude smooth trout vs scientific anglers mastery vpt

Define "medium"...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Default Re: scientific anglers amplitude smooth trout vs scientific anglers mastery vpt

Reading up on both the lines it looks like either one would be perfect for medium distance and soft dry fly presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Define "medium"...
    Yes, this is my question also. The VPT is great for dries, but doesn't cast well in close - it needs some line out to load. I didn't look at the taper design for the Amplitude Smooth Trout, but I presume it's SA's standard WF Trout taper just in the Amplitude line. So as mentioned that should work fine too, though the VPT is (really was) more of a dry fly line. The VPT is no longer made but I presume by your question you tracked one down.

Blog Entries

The VPT is still in production and still a staple in SA's Mastery series:

Mastery VPT Fly Line | Scientific Anglers

It's a great line for the right rod, but the rod must be delicate. My question would not only be what is "medium" but even more importantly...for which rod? Line in and of itself is just line - with various tapers and weights - no one line matches all rods. I have opined at great length - Let the rod pick it's line for it's specialty purpose at hand. So to answer that question, I need to ask some questions:

For which rod, and, for fishing where in what habitat, with which technique and flies?

6. Likes WNCtroutstalker liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    The VPT is still in production and still a staple in SA's Mastery series
    I stand corrected. I got some on discount and so had assumed they were being discontinued, but obviously not the case. And yes it is a finicky line that doesn't work with all rods.

8. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    I stand corrected. I got some on discount and so had assumed they were being discontinued, but obviously not the case. And yes it is a finicky line that doesn't work with all rods.
    I thought VPT would be discontinued, and I thought GPX/MPX would be too with Infinity being released...but both stayed right there is the inventory.....I doubt they currently sell much of either. If you have a really light, moderate action rod, like a 2-3 wt IM6/WT, Scott G,G2, GS 773, Orvis Superfine 3wt, etc. The VPT will load in close and deliver dries very delicately....if the rod has backbone or is heavier 4wt or 5wt rod....VPT becomes a longer distance dry line....IE: VPT works great for rods that load with less than a standard head weight out of the guides....otherwise it's a delicate long front taper true to weight line better with some line out. SA Trout taper is much longer rear taper and more progressive throughout the head length...similar to Expert Distance Taper, it enhances turn-over with a heavier back end.

I throw the VPT with my glass rods. Mountain creeks. I also use it on a Winston 4wt on medium sized rivers for dry fly fishing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11. Likes cooutlaw liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    The VPT is still in production and still a staple in SA's Mastery series:

Mastery VPT Fly Line | Scientific Anglers

It's a great line for the right rod, but the rod must be delicate. My question would not only be what is "medium" but even more importantly...for which rod? Line in and of itself is just line - with various tapers and weights - no one line matches all rods. I have opined at great length - Let the rod pick it's line for it's specialty purpose at hand. So to answer that question, I need to ask some questions:

For which rod, and, for fishing where in what habitat, with which technique and flies?
    Hello
    Rod Orvis Recon 8,6'' wt4
    The throw distance I need is 40-60 feet
    Fishery - rivers with slow and medium stream

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by czorny01 View Post
    Hello
    Rod Orvis Recon 8,6'' wt4
    The throw distance I need is 40-60 feet
    Fishery - rivers with slow and medium stream
    Without question, between the two lines, at that distance the Trout taper would be superior to the VPT on that rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast