Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharkskin line dilemma

Default Re: Sharkskin line dilemma

[quote=sandfly;52785]didn't impress me very much. I could cast the same with a cheaper line.[/quote
    ???????????????????????
    You are the only person I've ever heard say that. There are people that don't like the line, don't like the sound, too much money, it hurts my fingers, but I've never heard anyone say they couldn't cast farther with it.
    I'm ready to call b. s. on that.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Don't know what happened here.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

With all this talk about worn guides , how do you check them??? I use a cotton ball or cotton swab & rub it around on the guides & look for stuck fibers....

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    With all this talk about worn guides , how do you check them??? I use a cotton ball or cotton swab & rub it around on the guides & look for stuck fibers....
    Or borrow a pair of your wife's panty hose. Get a pair she's going to throw away. Run it thru the guides and see if they get snagged.

[QUOTE=mojo;52795]
    Quote Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
    didn't impress me very much. I could cast the same with a cheaper line.[/quote
    ???????????????????????
    You are the only person I've ever heard say that. There are people that don't like the line, don't like the sound, too much money, it hurts my fingers, but I've never heard anyone say they couldn't cast farther with it.
    I'm ready to call b. s. on that.
    I have been a casting instructer for close to 30 years. i teach lefty Kreh's way of casting and cast all lines the same. I would say the ss line can be faster but more distance ?? 80 to 100 foot cast with a 29.00 line is normal. The ss line shoots faster but distance, if you can't pick up a rod with a line and cast it the same as another you need to work on casting skills. For my classes I do a demo by taking a 4 pieace rod tip and casting a 5wt. 80 foot, just to demostrate the cast.. no big deal.
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

6. Default Re: Sharkskin line dilemma

Sandfly, okay...I have only been teaching casting 20 or so years so you got me there. I can pretty much cast any line also. But, SS does add feet. It is the design. It is the initial idea behind the design of the line, and it works.
    I can cast a less expensive line 80', but SS is much easier and allows me to do it more often and with more accuracy due to the fact it is easier. And it really doesn't matter what rod, which with most of the less expensive lines it does matter.

I will have to agree with Mojo, that you are the first person I have heard say that, but I will leave off the last part. It does leave me with the feeling, you haven't tried it yet. No disrespect.

(quote - Sandfly) I have been a casting instructer for close to 30 years. i teach lefty Kreh's way of casting and cast all lines the same. I would say the ss line can be faster but more distance ?? 80 to 100 foot cast with a 29.00 line is normal. The ss line shoots faster but distance, if you can't pick up a rod with a line and cast it the same as another you need to work on casting skills. For my classes I do a demo by taking a 4 pieace rod tip and casting a 5wt. 80 foot, just to demostrate the cast.. no big deal.

High line speed = longer, farther distance. It's plain physics. Have you tried SS? Man, if you're consistently throwing 100' with a $29 line, my hat goes off to you. That's better then the Rejeffs, Wulff, Kreh, Kreiger could ever think of. Too bad you weren't out here for the ISE's Best of the West casting contest yesterday. You probably would have won. Steve Rejeff won with a measley cast of 125' 6". And that was indoors, and with a whole rod.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    High line speed = longer, farther distance. It's plain physics. Have you tried SS? Man, if you're consistently throwing 100' with a $29 line, my hat goes off to you.

As for the 100' with a cheap line, I wouldn't doubt it. Most cheap lines I've used were far shorter than 100' so you end up shooting the backing. Not much friction in that!
    Now, if he ever tried Sharkskin or could sell it it's hard to believe he can't tell it's slicker and farther shooting unless, of course, we're dealing with the short line/backing issue I mentioned above.

I was able to cast a 5wt SS line on a VERY wet soccer field when it first
    became available. I was able to roll cast the stuff with tremendous ease, but
    wasn't $100 worth of impressed. My wife and I have been fishing Ridley
    Creek (PA) lately, and a long cast there is 20'. Roll casting is required, but
    plain old GPX does that well in close.

Buy whatever you want.......

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    I was able to cast a 5wt SS line on a VERY wet soccer field when it first
    became available. I was able to roll cast the stuff with tremendous ease, but
    wasn't $100 worth of impressed. My wife and I have been fishing Ridley
    Creek (PA) lately, and a long cast there is 20'. Roll casting is required, but
    plain old GPX does that well in close.

Buy whatever you want.......
    To me one of the nicest things about the SS is less false casting. That equals more line on the water, not in the air. It adds up. If it holds up as well as it's supposed to, it's going to be more cost effective too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12