Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

  1. #11

    Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    I formally apologize to all of those people I offended when I made the previous comment about "Hanz and Franz" and Girllly Man..


    This last weekend I told myself I would do 2 hours of streamer fishing with a woollybugger so I could get over my mental inability to catch and land a fish on this freeaking fly...

    I cheated I tied a tandem a woolybugger and Missouri's own Crackleback 6 inches behind.. I actually started catching fish for the fist time stripping on the down stream swing..

    And wouldn't you know it .. my Girrly fingers were cut after catching about 8 fish in two hours stripping...

    So yes the line does cut your right hand when you strip...

    My solution: Man up and get my hands tough Guess I got to go fish ;^)

    Critter

  2. #12

    Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
    I formally apologize to all of those people I offended when I made the previous comment about "Hanz and Franz" and Girllly Man..


    This last weekend I told myself I would do 2 hours of streamer fishing with a woollybugger so I could get over my mental inability to catch and land a fish on this freeaking fly...

    I cheated I tied a tandem a woolybugger and Missouri's own Crackleback 6 inches behind.. I actually started catching fish for the fist time stripping on the down stream swing..

    And wouldn't you know it .. my Girrly fingers were cut after catching about 8 fish in two hours stripping...

    So yes the line does cut your right hand when you strip...

    My solution: Man up and get my hands tough Guess I got to go fish ;^)

    Critter
    If you have girly man hands or Chuck Norris hands, they will be cut up by any line after so much water get to them. Suck it up. A pair of kevlar gloves will fit the bill.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

  3. #13

    Angry Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    Ok after a summer of using sharkskin and being a fan, The bling and shine just wore off..

    I fished a tailwater of a lake while it was turning over and very dirty...

    I felt that after 2 hours maybe 3 hours this line began to sink and sink a bunch..

    So here is my questions:

    Has anybody felt the line gets dirty quicker and sinks quicker in murky dirty water?

    I really liked the line until now and feel you can't even long line nymph without cleaning it. And how can you clean it on stream during an all day hike..

  4. Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    Looking forward to answer on this one. I do use the SS, and have not noticed any sinking, but I don't use it exclusive, so can't really say.

  5. #15

    Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
    Ok after a summer of using sharkskin and being a fan, The bling and shine just wore off..

    I fished a tailwater of a lake while it was turning over and very dirty...

    I felt that after 2 hours maybe 3 hours this line began to sink and sink a bunch..

    So here is my questions:

    Has anybody felt the line gets dirty quicker and sinks quicker in murky dirty water?

    I really liked the line until now and feel you can't even long line nymph without cleaning it. And how can you clean it on stream during an all day hike..
    You fished some dirty tailwaters and after 2 or 3 hours the line began to sink?
    I think if you fished any other line in that type of water, 2 or 3 minutes would have been tops.
    I just guessing, but maybe once in a while, you just might have to to the old fashioned thing and clean it. Give it a mild dish soap bath (take a picture of the dirty water) rinse if off and give another report.

    One more thing- you still have the welded loop end on it?
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,392

    Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    Hi Crittergetter,

    How dirty was your line before you used it in the dirty water. If you fished it all Summer with out cleaning it from time to time the line may have already been dirty before you hit the dirty lake water. If that is the case a dirty line would have collected dirt much quicker than it normally would have.

    As someone who started with a silk line and had to clean it and grease it on stream several times a day, I would loved to have your SS or any of the modern fly lines.

    Frank

  7. #17

    Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    WOW.... I never have experienced this. I guess the streams we fish in MO, being spring fed, never muck up your line in less than a day, even in mossy conditions...



    I did start with clean line. I do clean my line before every trip. It really helps.. I did discover you need to use a little dish soap and clean it away.. leaving soapy water on your line makes it sink.


    Mojo
    I still have the welded loop and have contemplated cutting it off and putting another flouro loop on it with a nail not. Do you think the welded loop might be pulling it down?

    Thanks all..
    Critter

  8. #18

    Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    Avoid dish detergents... too harsh. Even the line manufacturers warn against using it.

  9. #19

    Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
    WOW.... I never have experienced this. I guess the streams we fish in MO, being spring fed, never muck up your line in less than a day, even in mossy conditions...



    I did start with clean line. I do clean my line before every trip. It really helps.. I did discover you need to use a little dish soap and clean it away.. leaving soapy water on your line makes it sink.


    Mojo
    I still have the welded loop and have contemplated cutting it off and putting another flouro loop on it with a nail not. Do you think the welded loop might be pulling it down?

    Thanks all..
    Critter
    No, I was wondering, because people cut them off and do like you do, but don't seal the ends. Water soaks in and causes it to sink.
    Jack, I haven't heard that, but I guess it's feasible. I was going the Ivory soap way.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Winter Streamer Fly Swap Gallery
    By jclampwork88 in forum Fly Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
  2. Fly Line for Sage TCR
    By Orygun in forum Fly Lines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
  3. Fly Fishing in the Impaired South River (WHSV Harrisonburg)
    By Fish Bones in forum The Daily Papers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 09:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •