Line wt vice distance

Tracker12

Reaction score
Is it safe to say that you can cast further as the line weight goes up. I am a beginner and noticed how much easier it is for me to cast my 8wt vice the 5wt. Seems much easier to load the rod. What else plays into the efficiency in casting a fly rod?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow,

That's a broad spectrum but timing is probably the biggest factor. A caster with great timing can do wonders with any rod and line vs. someone with poor coordination / timing can with the best that money can buy.

As for the line / rod weight I'll leave that for the experts to answer. In my own experience one of the best distance rods I've ever owned was a St. Croix Legend 7' 9" 4wt. That thing would launch line like no other rod I've ever used in a 4wt. I'm talking the entire line with the ability to shoot an additional ten to fifteen feet of backing to boot.

The heaviest rod I own is a 9wt. and although it will cast the whole 92' of line it takes a considerable amount of energy to do so.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Re: Line wt vs. distance

My answer is a bit complex. An 8wt can be cast further than a 5wt, but a good caster should be able to throw both, and possibly even a 3wt over 80'.

The fact that you are having an easier time casting your 8wt than your 5wt likely means that you are using more muscle than proper timing. As you are casting your 8wt, try concentrating less on what you're feeling in your hand and arm, and more on the timing of your casting stroke relative to the length of line you have out.

Armando

Reaction score
It is all about loading the rod in the back cast, if it happens then your timming is right and the forward cast will achieve what you want. Doesnt matter what rod you are using it always applies.
Check your backcast, see the line as it straightens and curves the rod.

Something that also help and many of us do is overload the road with lines one or two numbers higher than the rod´s.

Best regards

GRN

Reaction score
If you ask any competitive caster, they will say more line weight = more distance for the most part.

mojo

Reaction score
If you ask any competitive caster, they will say more line weight = more distance for the most part.
Yes, but how does that equate to gently dropping a #24 BWO on the water?:frogdance

Now for the question that hasn't been asked. Is your 8w a Winston BIIX and your 5w an Eagle Claw?
Seriously, rod brands can make a difference. What rods are they?