Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Warm and salt lines: do they work in cool freshwater?

I am putting together an 8wt and will likely do some warm saltwater fishing in Florida but mostly swinging streamers for bass and big toothy things in Canada and upstate NY.

Do I need two lines? Are lines so specific now that this is a necessity? I imagine it is about core stiffness and coatings being sticky.

If you would go one way, would you use a cold in both or a warm? Thinking like SA ART vs Grand Slam.

2. Likes huronfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Warm and salt lines: do they work in cool freshwater?

I have more tropical lines than anything, the SA grand Slam tropical is one of them. Somewhere around 60-65 degree water and air temperature, those lines in general get a little harder to handle. I’m trying to think of a line and time I used a non-tropical type during the hot season.

Some of those saltwater lines won’t float as well in freshwater, which may or may not be an issue.

I wouldn’t want to fish a lot with a tropical line if I expected the water and air to be below 60 degrees and my tolerance for imperfection is pretty high in a sport (fly fishing) where perfectionists and perfectionism is the rule versus the exception.
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

4. Likes MichaelCPA liked this post

Difference between salt/freshwater fly lines?

Freshwater Lines vs. Saltwater Lines | Scientific Anglers

I would rather use a temperate line in tropical conditions than use a tropical line in temperate conditions, but that is just me.

I use the same lines for fresh and salt water. I own a finite number of reels and spare spools. Granted the in shore waters off South Jersey aren't what you would call tropical. Though they've been getting into the upper 70's the past few summers. The only time I fished tropical waters was 20 years ago when I was visiting Guam for work. Used an 8 wgt WF floating line. It worked fine. Do I need 4 or 5 different rod weights to fish for trout, my mind set is no. Same goes for fly lines. Why do I need a specific line, to fish warm/cool brackish water, when a standard WF floating line will do?
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Blog Entries

I like trying different lines. Besides the taper, there's a ton of other characteristics that come into play. Some of the coatings, especially on the freshwater lines really tend to pick up the ultra-fine marsh mud we have here. The line dirties up and becomes impossible to clean and the ingrained dirt will start to negatively impact how a line handles and casts. SA tropical lines seem to resist picking up the dirt better than others I've tried, although the Airflo tropical coating is good for resisting dirt. The problem with SA tropical lines is that when the sun and water are really warm, they tend to get extra slick. Oh good you say, slick is good until you want to strip set a fish and the line is impossible to get a good grip on.

Lately, I've been fishing the Monic Henley Phantom Tip floating line. It handles well in 60 degree water, but I haven't tested it yet in full tropical summer conditions. It has a nice level of slickness, not so much that hook sets suffer. Most of my fishing is towards tropical conditions so I tend to have more of those lines. I'll fish them in ideal water temperatures, they just get a little irritable. But if the heart of my fishing was temperate water and I wanted to do it with one line, I'd pick a temperate line and deal with the issues if it happen to be extra hot.
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

One thing I found that doesn't work is using a tropical line in the cold saltwater of New England.

The head part was OK, but the running line developed breaks in the cover very quickly. I could hear the broken parts going through the guides.

Since the head was still good I cut off the running line and replaced it with SlickShooter.
    Do or do not. There is no 'try'. - Yoda

Paul

Which is more concerning using tropical, temperate, cold lines air or water temperature. Does Rio, SA etc base their temperature recommendations primarily on water or air temp? I'm sure both matter but I'm curious. My thinking is it is based on water temp however, air and water temp can quite different. The Fly line companies should indicate this as it is not noted in their literature. Some less informed people probably don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon53 View Post
    Which is more concerning using tropical, temperate, cold lines air or water temperature. Does Rio, SA etc base their temperature recommendations primarily on water or air temp? I'm sure both matter but I'm curious.
    I've always wondered what would be best with warm air/cool water, or vice versa. I'm guessing water temp is slightly more important...?
    Danny

11. Default Re: Warm and salt lines: do they work in cool freshwater?

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
    I've always wondered what would be best with warm air/cool water, or vice versa. I'm guessing water temp is slightly more important...?
    Nope, I think deck temperature is the important one. Temperate lines are incompatible with the deck of a tropical skiff