Leaders

Reaction score
How often do you guys replace your leaders, and when you do, do you cut off the part of it that is connected to the fly line, or the part of the fly line above the knot?

pszy22

Reaction score
It depends on the style of leader you are using. Furled leaders may last you for several seasons of hard fishing. Single strand leaders tend to shorten over time as you add new tippet material, but the main part of the leader should last quite a while.

I'd advise against cutting off the tip of your fly line every time you make a leader change. Alot of folks permanently attach a length of fairly stiff mono to the fly line, and then attach the actual leader to that mono extension. Alot of folks like to use a loop to loop connection between the extension and the leader.

If you already have a leader attached to your fly line, when you are ready to change leaders, try cutting your old leader off about a foot or so down from the line. Then attach your new leader to the end of your old one. Hope that's clear.

p.s. Here is a link if you want to see how to tie some of those knots.

FISHN50

Reaction score
It depends on the style of leader you are using. Furled leaders may last you for several seasons of hard fishing. Single strand leaders tend to shorten over time as you add new tippet material, but the main part of the leader should last quite a while.

I'd advise against cutting off the tip of your fly line every time you make a leader change. Alot of folks permanently attach a length of fairly stiff mono to the fly line, and then attach the actual leader to that mono extension. Alot of folks like to use a loop to loop connection between the extension and the leader.

If you already have a leader attached to your fly line, when you are ready to change leaders, try cutting your old leader off about a foot or so down from the line. Then attach your new leader to the end of your old one. Hope that's clear.

p.s. Here is a link if you want to see how to tie some of those knots.

I can't add anything to the above good info except another knot site

Grog's Fishing Knots Index

Red Owl

Reaction score
Although I rarely do it, I read a book by Joe Humphreys in which he argued that one ought to be continually changing the leader to match the fly being cast plus the fishing conditions. He constantly was messing with his leader to get the kind of action he wanted. In any event I have a wallet of various leaders and use a loop to loop attachment- I followed the loop making instructions given right here on this forum and it works great, leader turns over without hinging.

pszy22

Reaction score
Although I rarely do it, I read a book by Joe Humphreys in which he argued that one ought to be continually changing the leader to match the fly being cast plus the fishing conditions. He constantly was messing with his leader to get the kind of action he wanted. In any event I have a wallet of various leaders and use a loop to loop attachment- I followed the loop making instructions given right here on this forum and it works great, leader turns over without hinging.
A properly executed loop to loop connection does do a very good job of transfering energy down the "line". It's a very good method.