Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaders

1. Default Leaders

How often do you guys replace your leaders, and when you do, do you cut off the part of it that is connected to the fly line, or the part of the fly line above the knot?

Default Re: Leaders

It depends on the style of leader you are using. Furled leaders may last you for several seasons of hard fishing. Single strand leaders tend to shorten over time as you add new tippet material, but the main part of the leader should last quite a while.

I'd advise against cutting off the tip of your fly line every time you make a leader change. Alot of folks permanently attach a length of fairly stiff mono to the fly line, and then attach the actual leader to that mono extension. Alot of folks like to use a loop to loop connection between the extension and the leader.

If you already have a leader attached to your fly line, when you are ready to change leaders, try cutting your old leader off about a foot or so down from the line. Then attach your new leader to the end of your old one. Hope that's clear.

p.s. Here is a link if you want to see how to tie some of those knots.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    It depends on the style of leader you are using. Furled leaders may last you for several seasons of hard fishing. Single strand leaders tend to shorten over time as you add new tippet material, but the main part of the leader should last quite a while.

I'd advise against cutting off the tip of your fly line every time you make a leader change. Alot of folks permanently attach a length of fairly stiff mono to the fly line, and then attach the actual leader to that mono extension. Alot of folks like to use a loop to loop connection between the extension and the leader.

If you already have a leader attached to your fly line, when you are ready to change leaders, try cutting your old leader off about a foot or so down from the line. Then attach your new leader to the end of your old one. Hope that's clear.

p.s. Here is a link if you want to see how to tie some of those knots.

I can't add anything to the above good info except another knot site

Grog's Fishing Knots Index

Although I rarely do it, I read a book by Joe Humphreys in which he argued that one ought to be continually changing the leader to match the fly being cast plus the fishing conditions. He constantly was messing with his leader to get the kind of action he wanted. In any event I have a wallet of various leaders and use a loop to loop attachment- I followed the loop making instructions given right here on this forum and it works great, leader turns over without hinging.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
    Although I rarely do it, I read a book by Joe Humphreys in which he argued that one ought to be continually changing the leader to match the fly being cast plus the fishing conditions. He constantly was messing with his leader to get the kind of action he wanted. In any event I have a wallet of various leaders and use a loop to loop attachment- I followed the loop making instructions given right here on this forum and it works great, leader turns over without hinging.
    A properly executed loop to loop connection does do a very good job of transfering energy down the "line". It's a very good method.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo