Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DT fly line.

1. Default Re: DT fly line.

+1

Ben

2. Default Re: DT fly line.

ive used them all, and I find myself using a (heaven forbid) level line most often anymore for large mouth.for the simple reason you mentioned,one cast may be forty ft and the next four ft,for me a level line just loads my old rods faster.letting me have at least a reasonable chance of putting a bass bug in say a 6" hole in a moss bed with 10 ft of line out the tip.I do use dt alot also fishing from the bank and reaching out to the edge of a weed bed.ive never really saw much advantage to a wf in MY largemouth bass fishing (though I do use them) .at least where i fish bass are not particularly wary, ive caught as many fish at 5 ft as 30.but as I say i try to fish close if possible.ONE thing for me is also the cost of lines.i tend to go for somewhat more inexpensive lines so that i can keep the cost down.those bass like to head for cover and ive actually shredded the out side coating off lines on lakes such as lake fork where cover tends to be coated with barnacles or whatever that stuff is.for me a old level nylon line holds up about as well as any.and I bought 12 30ft level lines for $11 the other day.this is my opinion of course and your results may vary! if you get a chance try a old level line ,as much as we disparage them nowdays,they do have advantages in certain situations also.

Default Re: DT fly line.

The odd thing is I tested DT & WF Lines at Orvis Day & I can cast a lot better with the DT.

Why I can is just bugging me to no end.

Where can I find a good deal on cheap DT's???

I have some Cortland Fairplay Flylines in WF/F & WF/S. IMHO it's on par with Airflow 7000 Lines, Scientific Anglers Concept, AquaNova, Orvis & even some old a Berkley Fly Line. To me most of the lines feels about the same, cast about the same with me.
    Last edited by EastTexas; 11-12-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    }((((> "Go Fly Fish'n life is just too short" <)))){

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
    The odd thing is I tested DT & WF Lines at Orvis Day & I can cast a lot better with the DT.

Why I can is just bugging me to no end.
    I am guessing that the continuous belly has more mass in it rather than being concentrated near the front. This allows you to load your rod deeper as you get more line out. You can get the same effect by uplining with a weight forward line.

Where can I find a good deal on cheap DT's???
    The Rio Selective Trout Line has been discontinued. You can probably find some on clearance for up to 50% off. I'm sure a web search can find something for you.

I have some Cortland Concept Flylines in WF/F & WF/S. IMHO it's on par with Airflow 7000 Lines, Scientific Anglers Concept, AquaNova, Orvis & even some old a Berkley Fly Line. To me most of the lines feels about the same, cast about the same with me.
    If you start fishing premium lines on a regular basis you will notice a difference. You won't want to go back to price point lines. They will cast further due to their slicker coatings. They will float higher. They will last longer as long as you care for them. I had a Rio Grand line last me over 200 fishing days. I retired it because I was given a new line.

MP

Where can I find a good deal on cheap DT's??.
    You can get factory second Northern Sport (Aqua Nova) lines here. http://fortackle.com/

That's what I've been using lately, I have 8 of them.
    Last I knew they were $9.50 each, 3 for $22.50. Free shipping
    You can't order on line, you'll have to call
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Not only does a DT load at a shorter distance than a WF, but mending a line on the water is actually possible with a DT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12