DT fly line.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Hey guys, I read a few threads about DT vs WF lines but the assumption is that you actually know what one is.:tongue:
I've never fished a DT line, what are the physical differences? Casting differences?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Swril,

They cast fine, they have a heavy belly as opposed to a heavy front section and a running line type rear. They have a taper on both ends so if you dry fly fish, after a few years you reverse them and have a new front taper. Did that make any sense?

I'm sure there are sites or threads here with diagrams to show you the different characteristics of each type line.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Weight forward lines are better for distance casting
DTs excel at mending and roll casting
...as long if you're talkin' distances over 30'
in the first 30' of the taper, they're pretty much the same

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

I want to overline my 7WT for LargeMouth and my 9WT lines are too much. Distance isn't really and issue, I wade for LM and every time I cast more that 40' I end up in a bush anyway.
I notice the DT lines are cheaper for some reason, I can't imagine they cost any less to produce. I guess they are no longer the latest and greatest?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Rod companies like to push faster action rods...:rolleyes:
People buy fast action rods and come to believe that they are what's best for 'their style of casting'
Fast action rods tend to work best with weight forward lines.
Therefore DT lines are rarely used to their advantage.

No longer the latest and the greatest ?
depends on who you're asking

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi swirlchaser,

You can see in the diagrams the difference in the design of the same line in a WF Taper and a Double Taper fly line.

Frank

Weight Forward Taper

Double Taper

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Rod companies like to push faster action rods...:rolleyes:
People buy fast action rods and come to believe that they are what's best for 'their style of casting'
Fast action rods tend to work best with weight forward lines.
Therefore DT lines are rarely used to their advantage.

No longer the latest and the greatest ?
depends on who you're asking
Thanks Rip, thats what I was looking for, my 7WT is probably closer to medium than fast so I'll take a shot with a DT line.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Swirlchaser,

You will no doubt get lots of response to this question. In short the DT line has a heavy belly and a taper on both ends. They cast well and mend / roll cast very well due to the weight in the belly of the line. WF's have a taper followed by a short belly then the rest is essentially running line.

It is really a matter of choice for you based on experience with the various lines. We can spend time splitting hairs and discussing what lines are used in casting tournaments or use what ever feels good to us. I use DT's on almost all my rigs and don't seem to experience any of the problems that people describe having with them. Yes I sometimes cast long too. When I first started buying quality lines they were almost all DT and you had to search for a 'Rocket Taper' then the market decided that weight forward should be the line of choice and DT lines became scarce. The same thing happened with down locking reel seats. Almost all the rods I bought pre 1985 were down locker's then suddenly they were all up locking seats. Being a sort of eccentric I have changed some of my seats on favorite rods to down lockers and bought enough DT lines to last me through the next swing in the market.

Others will disagree with my assessment on lines but then I'm just some guy who fishes and writes his biased opinions on a fly fishing forum, I am not certified by anyone or any organizations as an authority on lines or rods.

My advise, try one.

Ard

KRD

Reaction score
I use both. I like dt's for my small stream rods . So really I get 2 lines in one box. What I do rather than putting the whole line on the reel and run the chance of line memory when I want to flip it over. So I run out the box of new line, double it over making sure the tips are the same and have a friend walk till he hit the middle and have him but it. Then put one on the reel and one on the plastic spool.

I can cast both just fine.

jackinok

Reaction score
ive used them all, and I find myself using a (heaven forbid) level line most often anymore for large mouth.for the simple reason you mentioned,one cast may be forty ft and the next four ft,for me a level line just loads my old rods faster.letting me have at least a reasonable chance of putting a bass bug in say a 6" hole in a moss bed with 10 ft of line out the tip.I do use dt alot also fishing from the bank and reaching out to the edge of a weed bed.ive never really saw much advantage to a wf in MY largemouth bass fishing (though I do use them) .at least where i fish bass are not particularly wary, ive caught as many fish at 5 ft as 30.but as I say i try to fish close if possible.ONE thing for me is also the cost of lines.i tend to go for somewhat more inexpensive lines so that i can keep the cost down.those bass like to head for cover and ive actually shredded the out side coating off lines on lakes such as lake fork where cover tends to be coated with barnacles or whatever that stuff is.for me a old level nylon line holds up about as well as any.and I bought 12 30ft level lines for $11 the other day.this is my opinion of course and your results may vary! if you get a chance try a old level line ,as much as we disparage them nowdays,they do have advantages in certain situations also.

EastTexas

Reaction score
The odd thing is I tested DT & WF Lines at Orvis Day & I can cast a lot better with the DT.

Why I can is just bugging me to no end.

Where can I find a good deal on cheap DT's???

I have some Cortland Fairplay Flylines in WF/F & WF/S. IMHO it's on par with Airflow 7000 Lines, Scientific Anglers Concept, AquaNova, Orvis & even some old a Berkley Fly Line. To me most of the lines feels about the same, cast about the same with me.

Last edited:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The odd thing is I tested DT & WF Lines at Orvis Day & I can cast a lot better with the DT.

Why I can is just bugging me to no end.
I am guessing that the continuous belly has more mass in it rather than being concentrated near the front. This allows you to load your rod deeper as you get more line out. You can get the same effect by uplining with a weight forward line.

Where can I find a good deal on cheap DT's???
The Rio Selective Trout Line has been discontinued. You can probably find some on clearance for up to 50% off. I'm sure a web search can find something for you.

I have some Cortland Concept Flylines in WF/F & WF/S. IMHO it's on par with Airflow 7000 Lines, Scientific Anglers Concept, AquaNova, Orvis & even some old a Berkley Fly Line. To me most of the lines feels about the same, cast about the same with me.
If you start fishing premium lines on a regular basis you will notice a difference. You won't want to go back to price point lines. They will cast further due to their slicker coatings. They will float higher. They will last longer as long as you care for them. I had a Rio Grand line last me over 200 fishing days. I retired it because I was given a new line.

MP

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
Not only does a DT load at a shorter distance than a WF, but mending a line on the water is actually possible with a DT!:D