Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anyone use Sage Quiet DT II? $35 on E-Bay!

Default Anyone use Sage Quiet DT II? $35 on E-Bay!

I now have 2 Sage TXL's, 370-3 and the 4710-3. The Sage Quiet Taper II was manufactured specifically for these rods? There is one E-Bay vendor with about 72 of these to sell in all weights 000-5wt,and they are being closed-out at 35 +5 shipping. I posted partially just to let people know about this deal, because I am aware of quite a few of you who have the TXL, but I also would be interested in any comments, reviews from anyone who may have already used the Quiet Double Taper II.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone use Sage Quiet DT II? $35 on E-Bay!

It is a fine line. It has an interesting taper to it. The QTII is basically two weight forward lines fused in the middle. It has most of the mass in the head. Then it tapers down to the midsection. It was designed to load the faster TXL rods quickly with little line out.

MP

I've seen the taper diagram on this. How does it cast when you get half of you line out trying to get some distance and then it starts to get heavier again? Do you lose the ability to cast the remainder of your line or can you cast way into the second half without any trouble? This also is only an 80' line, so halfway is only 40 ft. I'm not sure Ill have to worry about getting 60' out with the 4wt txl anyways.

Blog Entries

Let's be realistic about a short creek rod. A 40 foot cast is a very long cast. I wouldn't worry about the line past the midsection because you won't be using it.

MP

It is the 7'10" 4 wt, so it is more than JUST a creek rod. I threw the WF line in the yard and had 50 feet of the line out. Like I said, I have never thrown a DT before, but am I correct in assuming that I am trading a little of that distance for finesse? Or maybe alot of that distance?

Blog Entries

You are going to give up a little distance for finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    I've seen the taper diagram on this. How does it cast when you get half of you line out trying to get some distance and then it starts to get heavier again? Do you lose the ability to cast the remainder of your line or can you cast way into the second half without any trouble? This also is only an 80' line, so halfway is only 40 ft. I'm not sure Ill have to worry about getting 60' out with the 4wt txl anyways.
    You won't, and you surely won't be carrying that much line.

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Let's be realistic about a short creek rod. A 40 foot cast is a very long cast. I wouldn't worry about the line past the midsection because you won't be using it.
    MP
    Mostly Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    It is the 7'10" 4 wt, so it is more than JUST a creek rod. I threw the WF line in the yard and had 50 feet of the line out. Like I said, I have never thrown a DT before, but am I correct in assuming that I am trading a little of that distance for finesse? Or maybe alot of that distance?
    When I go out to 50' with this rod, I am risking a lot of tailing loops because I am pushing the limits of the power that this rod will accept. When I do shoot 40-45' I am typically carrying no more than 30-35' and I am shooting the rest.

The Quiet Taper Lines were made for the TXL, so I can't imagine you'd have a problem. I personally use a Rio Gold WF4F on mine. I'm tempted to pick up some of that Quiet Taper II though.