Lines for Spey casting

GRN

Reaction score
Hi Guy,s. I am new to Spey casting and was wondering what is recommended for casting with a spey rod. Is there a spey line if so what is the benefits.
This question suggests that you're really in the infancy of your spey curiosity, in which case you should really take a clinic... it's not just another 'flavor' of fly fishing, it's a whole new gig. If you live in the Northeast... Check with W.S. Hunter in Concord NH, they are doing a clinic with Jim Rusher next weekend - and it's a miracle (or the economy) that there are spots left. Jim is the best, and Mike does a good job facilitating the clinics with equipment, lunch, etc.

W.S. Hunter Fly Fishing Outfitters

Have fun, it opens up a lot for your one handed line management techniques as well.

TL's~

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Reckless,

Where are you located? GRN is correct, you need some help. Your best bet is to locate a shop that does Spey casting and not just sells Spey rods. Spey casting is not wide spread in the US but there are some hot spots.

If any one is going to help you on the forum we need to know the rod you have, its weight and length and what you are fishing for. Yes, there are special lines for Spey rods.

Frank

GRN

Reaction score
Is there a spey line if so what is the benefits.
The short answer, yes there are and they have many different benefits in different fishing environments. RIO WindCutter Spey line seems to be a favorite block and tackle line, and the most recommended for beginners in my experience. I also like Wulff Triangle Taper Spey if I'm not fighting any wind...

BigCliff

Reaction score
There are indeed special lines for Spey casting, and also for different forms of spey casting: Scandi, Skagit, Traditional. To be honest, the issue of lines for spey casting/rods might be the one thing in this sport more complicated than knowing exactly what bugs trout eat.

This chart is a bit outdated, but the best resource I know of for pairing spey lines with spey rods-

http://www.rajeffsports.com/modules/webspeychart.htm

reckless

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer my very broad based question. I (unfortunatly) do not live in the states but in Adelaide, Australia and saw spey for the first time while fishing my way around Montana. I thought "thats for me" . I have had the learn the basics from books and dvd courses. I can now throw out a line into the backing but it is just a WF9F line and although rolls out quite well I know there must be better. The chart is very helpfull and I will seek out some lines to take me to the next level.
Thanks to all.

reckless

Reaction score
Guy,s. I have a 10/11 wt rod and have just got hold of a second hand Skagit line in that weight. I seem to have got the basics of the single and even had limited success with the double spey cast and now I want to set the whole thing up for fishing. I will be using quite heavy flies (some salt water) and would like to know the setup for leaders for the weight line I will be using.
Thanks again to all for your input and yes... it is a whole different ball game.