Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sage FLI 8wt

1. Default Sage FLI 8wt

i got a sage fli a few weeks ago now im looking into getting a line for it. i will be fishing atlantic salmon in the miramichi area where the rivers are about 20 feet wide. also i will be looking for a floating line as i fish dry flys mostly. this is my first time buying a new line as last season i used a cheap rod and line from wallmart. any idea's would be greatly apreciated

Default Re: Sage FLI 8wt

I have the same rod in a 7wt and i use Rio gold trout line 7wt wff and it loads the rod well, usually one back cast and let it shoot. I am not sure but i think the rio gold is a half size heavier than a standard line. Mine is on its 3rd season and is still like new. I think it was 65 dollars.
    Jim
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

Hi booya,

jimw is right that the RIO Gold is a good line. However, it is not over weight. It is the RIO Grand that is 1/2 line over weight.

You don't say what weight Fli rod you have. If you are fairly new to fly fishing you might appreciate the 1/2 over weight lines from RIO and SA. The SA line is the GPX. So either of these lines would be a good choice for Salmon. The added weight would help you with the bigger Salmon flies.

Frank

Hi Frank,
    I thought I saw 8wt, but didn't see the line weight in the post. It's in the
    thread title, however.

I don't fish for salmon, so can't help beyond that........

Hi FrankB,

Thanks for the info. I don't know how I missed that.

FrankW

I have both Rio Grande and S.A. GPX line and there both great and multi purpose. Also with both being a bit heavier they load really nice and cast long. Hopefully this is helpful and good luck on the salmon!!!