Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: wich line works best?

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    [/B]

When I started using a higher end floating line years ago, I was surprised to find what a difference it made in both my casting distance and accuracy. for some of us, a better line does help. Maybe more so for beginners?
    Where does one find $10 factory seconds fly lines?
    One of my friends picked up a Sage Launch and Lamson Konic reel as her first setup. The shop guy gave her a free line which was a "demo line." She complained to me that she couldn't generate enough line speed for the 35 to 50 feet range. I thought it was her mechanics until I saw her cast. I grabbed one of my reels that had a Rio Grand. Instantly, she got the line speed to get the extra distance. My friend is going back to the shop tomorrow for a new line. Moral of the story, a quality line will benefit anybody.

Factory second lines are usually shop demo lines. These lines were basically made to get beat up in parking lots. Shops pay around $5 for them. These lines usually are overruns that do not have welded loops and the superslick coatings added. Some lines may have imperfections in the hard coating. FYI, shops are not supposed to sell these lines.

MP

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Factory second lines are usually shop demo lines. These lines were basically made to get beat up in parking lots. Shops pay around $5 for them. These lines usually are overruns that do not have welded loops and the superslick coatings added. Some lines may have imperfections in the hard coating. FYI, shops are not supposed to sell these lines.
    Factory seconds were never 'made to get beat up in parking lots' just as a factory second sweatshirt was never purposely made to be a rag.
    Factory seconds may be short or have an imperfection in the finish, although I've never seen that in the 8 that I've purchased.
    And if I don't like the way one of my lines matches the intended rod, I'll trim the front taper for a custom 'fit'.

Just as any other factory second these lines can be sold in any shop. Just as long as it's clear that they are not first quality
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

3. Default Re: wich line works best?

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    I grabbed one of my reels that had a Rio Grand. Instantly, she got the line speed to get the extra distance. My friend is going back to the shop tomorrow for a new line. Moral of the story, a quality line will benefit anybody. MP
    The Rio Grand lines are also 1/2 line weight *heavier* than marked. That may have been a factor in your friends improved casting. I have a couple Rio Grand lines and like them a lot, but like the SA GPX and Orvis Power Taper lines, they are designed to be extra heavy.

From the Rio website:

"The RIO Grand is one half size heavier and features more weight distributed towards the front of the line to easily load fast action fly rods."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    The Rio Grand lines are also 1/2 line weight *heavier* than marked. That may have been a factor in your friends improved casting. I have a couple Rio Grand lines and like them a lot, but like the SA GPX and Orvis Power Taper lines, they are designed to be extra heavy.

From the Rio website:

"The RIO Grand is one half size heavier and features more weight distributed towards the front of the line to easily load fast action fly rods."
    I'm sure that was the factor in her improved casting. That's why I grabbed that reel rather than my other reel with a SA Mastery Trout. I knew that the extra line mass would help her flex the rod.

That demo line didn't cast well at all. I could get it to load her rod, but the line did not shoot well.

MP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Factory seconds were never 'made to get beat up in parking lots' just as a factory second sweatshirt was never purposely made to be a rag.
    Factory seconds may be short or have an imperfection in the finish, although I've never seen that in the 8 that I've purchased.
    And if I don't like the way one of my lines matches the intended rod, I'll trim the front taper for a custom 'fit'.

Just as any other factory second these lines can be sold in any shop. Just as long as it's clear that they are not first quality
    Hi Rip,
    Thank you for correcting me. I could have worded it differently.

There are two types of factory seconds in the industry. Some are the beater demo lines that shops buy for $5 that are not intended for retail sale. Most of these lines were midpriced lines that have imperfections in finish. There are also factory second lines that shops buy on closeout to help make sales.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12