Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Senyo's Wiggle Stone Fly

Default Senyo's Wiggle Stone Fly

A great pattern originally designed for steelhead.

Here i present it in a smaller format, and have successfully used it to catch trout
    This little Maine Brookie fell to a Peacock variation

Materials are few and easy to souce

Wiggle hook: Size 14 nymph hook, here i used Allen AFF3769
    Thread: Black 6/0 or 70 denier
    Tail: Black Goose Biots
    Rib : 6x mono
    Body: Senyo's Laser Dub - Black

Main Hook: Scud hook of choice, here i use TMC 2457 Size 14
    Linker: 10lb mono
    Wing Case: Mirage Tinsel (medium)
    Body: Steelie Blue Ice Dub
    Legs: Black Goose Biot

Start your thread on the hook and wind to the back. Form a small ball of thread at the rear tie in point, this will help splay the goose biots.

Tie in two goose biots back to back so they are pointing away from eachother.

Tie the biots along the shank and bring the thread toward the eye.
    Here tie in the rib (6x mono) and wind the thread to the back of the hook and then back to the eye

Dub some Black Laser Dub onto the thread and form a body on the hook by winding down to the tail and then up again. If you have extra dubbing remove it from the thread.

Wind the rib a few times (3-4) around the body. This helps maintain the body and increase the life time of the fly by protecting it from fish teeth etc. You should have a slightly segmented body
    Tie off the rib, form a head, whip finish and cement.

Secure your scud hook in the vise and form a thread underbody toward the rear of the hook, stop the thread just above the barb of the hook.

Tie in your 10lb mono and secure it to the hook with thread up and down the shank.
    Thread the tag end through the bottom of the eye of the trail hook and secure the mono to the shank of the scud hook. Then tie in the wing case along the shank of the hook. The under body should be pretty thick now, with at least 6 layers of thread, the mono and the wing case

Dub some Lazer dub to the thread and the eye of the hook and form a body down and up the shank. Try to make it pretty thick.
    Tie in the wing case over the top of the body

Tie in two goose biots approx 1 shank length. The biots should be apposed like in the tail, and the body will help to push them out further.

Form a small neat head, whip and cement.
    You can cut off the long pieces of dubbing or leave them to act as legs
    You fly is almost finished.
    Take some pliers or wire cutters and cut the bend off the rear hook.

You are now done.
    The fly here is size 14, but i also tie these in size 8, with a wiggle body size 10and in multiple colors. Here are some Fl Shell Pink, Fl Yellow, Peacock, Steelie Blue and Brown (All ice dub colors)

Last edited by s fontinalis; 10-21-2011 at 12:01 PM.

2. Likes ted4887, sumojo liked this post

Default Re: Senyo's Wiggle Stone Fly

These are flat out killer! Cool colors you got there too, they can be a bit of a pain to tie but their catchability makes up for the extra effort. I've been tying stones, PTs, random attractors, and my favorite the wiggle hex. I'm most partial to the Hex cuase you can have the best of both worlds, tightlining it and then letting it swing out, KILLER! Well done on this!!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Thanks s fontinalis

Good instructions and a pattern that I must try. Why is it that every time I see a new fly that screams to be tied, it uses none of the materials in my inventory???

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    Thanks s fontinalis

Good instructions and a pattern that I must try. Why is it that every time I see a new fly that screams to be tied, it uses none of the materials in my inventory???

Dave

Time to stock up then, huh.
    I go through the same thing...cost a fortune, but well worth it in the end.