The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (
-   Fly Patterns (
-   -   Not sure what this is called (

awkwardsportsman 03-26-2013 02:35 PM

Not sure what this is called
Made this up the other night.
Tail: muskrat guard hair
Body: muskrat fur dubbing
Hackle: Brown rooster saddle
Wing: muskrat guard hair tied in as a post

flytire 03-27-2013 04:22 AM

Re: Not sure what this is called
1. i would not use guard hairs as tailing fibers. i would use hackle barbs from that brown hackle.

2. a post is usually used to tie parachute style flies that have the hackle wrapped around the post horizontally. a post is not used on the dry fly style you tied.

3. omit the post and just wrap the hackle like you have done above

awkwardsportsman 03-27-2013 06:40 AM

Not sure what this is called
Just a coulle of questions to build my knowledge of fly tying. Why would you not use the guard hairs as taling material? Is ot the way it floats or looks? Also I used the wrong term on the wing. The guard hairs are tied in as a hair wing, is there are reason not to do this? I figured it would help with flotation.

flytire 03-27-2013 08:46 AM

Re: Not sure what this is called
from the muskrat i have worked with the guard hairs were just to short for a dry fly tail. if the guard hairs on the skin you have are longer and measure about 1 1/2 the length of the hook shank, then by all means use it.

same thing with the wing.

there are other materials to tie dry flies but use what you have on hand.

awkwardsportsman 03-27-2013 08:50 AM

Not sure what this is called
Understood. I am pretty new to tying so I am open to all suggestions/techniques/ideas and criticism. Thanks!

Kerry Pitt 03-28-2013 01:32 PM

Re: Not sure what this is called
If you use YouTube it will help you out alot, even if you have classes you can go to, YouTube is a huge resource and you can watch it ove and over as you tie. Just keep working at it, things will get better for you, I know because me and my 10 thumbs got better. That being said your fly treated with floatant may well hook a fish or two. Thanks for sharing and you are in the right place to ask questions.

gary w 04-06-2013 04:06 PM

Re: Not sure what this is called
There is a fly we use here in western ,Pa that is very deadly, it is similar to your fly but without the tail and dubbing. It's called the North Fork Spider red thread tied with badger hackle very simple and works awesome. It was the first dry fly pattern I was taught at a Trout Unlimited fly tying class. I'll be tying a couple more up this week for the up coming trout season, and I'll try to post it on here.

gary w 04-16-2013 08:02 PM

Re: Not sure what this is called
Here is the fly I mentioned, sorry I forgot to post this here.

I'll also try to post it under templates if I can figure it out.[/URL][/IMG]

rchouser12 05-18-2013 01:19 PM

Re: Not sure what this is called
looks like an Adams

fly_guy12955 06-14-2013 09:24 AM

Re: Not sure what this is called

Dunno what it is but a bluegill outta eat the stuffin' out of it.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.40 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2005-2017 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.