Leisenring's Black Gnat
--Hook: std wet fly #14-18
--Thread: red UTC 70 (or 6/0)
--Hackle: cock starling
--Body: three (3) black/brown turkey tail fibres
--Rib: fine green wire

hiawassee_midge_man

Reaction score
That would definitely catch fish in a #28 on my river. Have never tried any caddis without a wing that is definitely food for thought.

stenacron

Reaction score
That would definitely catch fish in a #28 on my river. Have never tried any caddis without a wing that is definitely food for thought.
When I lived back in PA, you could have a lot of fun with this fly in size 16-18, mid-May when the Black Sedges were dancing along the stream edges.

Hasn't fished as well for me out West.

hiawassee_midge_man

Reaction score
I have been catching a bunch on a cream caddis colored purple with a sharpie( thought it would be black and stumbled into something)

flytire

Reaction score
its called a "devil bug" (sometimes called a "cooper bug") and can be tied in an array of colors. the all black version I show is a great pattern for the black caddis on the big horn river in montana

you can try GOOGLE. there are videos on how to tie it but its really simple to tie

moucheur2003

Reaction score

Leisenring's Black Gnat
--Hook: std wet fly #14-18
--Thread: red UTC 70 (or 6/0)
--Hackle: cock starling
--Body: three (3) black/brown turkey tail fibres
--Rib: fine green wire
I like this one. I tie it with fibers from a crow feather rather than turkey; it's blacker.

Other choices include Starling & Herl soft hackle in #16 and 18, and black X-Caddis or Elk Hair Caddis in # 16 and 18. You could also try tying some of the XC and EHC with peacock herl or crow or turkey or pheasant fibers, rather than black dubbing.

Don't know if I will get around to it, but this year I have also been meaning to try tying up a few little black Rackelhanens. They are a popular caddis pattern in Europe but you don't hear that much about them in the US.

Rackelhanen - a Scandinavian one material caddis/sedge imitation. - Global FlyFisher

weiliwen

Reaction score
No pictures, but I have good luck making a soft hackle fly in small sizes with just two ingredients - peacock herl wrapped along the body and starling hackle. I tie it in #18 and 20, fish it dry until it sinks, then fish it like a typical soft hackle. It's very effective.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I like that. How did you tie that? Any YouTube directions? Thanks!
Devil Bugs are easy peasy. Wrap a dubbed (or wool or peacock or anything else that strikes your fancy) body, tie in some deer or elk hair at the head and clip the butts, whip finish. Clip the thread and tie it back on again at the bend, tie down the rear end of the deer/elk, whip finish again, done.

bbbruce77

Reaction score
Another hackle option for size 12 and smaller are the dark blue black feathers from a cock pheasants neck. The barbs are thicker than starling and have less taper to them.