Dirty Rat dryfly

flyfisher54

Reaction score
I had the pleasure to fish with Bob Krumm, of Blue Quill Fly shop a few years ago, he showed me a dry fly called the Dirty rat, does anyone know where I can instructions on how to tie this pattern?

planettrout

Reaction score
The Rat Faced Mcdougall has been around for a very long time:

"Harry and Elsie Darby, the famous fly tiers of Roscoe, New York, made popular this fly that Harry said was created at his request by "Percy Jennings, an amateur fly tier from Cold Spring Harbor, known among anglers for the time he caught a 3 1/2 pound brown on a backcast." The Rat-Faced McDougal was originally tied with grizzly-hackled-tip wings, but Harry wrote in his book Catskill Flytier that white calf-wings were "more visible, just as effective." He never mentioned the fly's tail, but I would be tempted to use white or tan calf tail for it, though I've stuck with Harry's ginger hackle fibers here."

The yellow tailed version on my site came from Chuck Fothergill's Shop in Aspen, CO. I have copied it ever since I first saw it there in 1975.

I see Bob Krumm's patterns in Flyfishing & Tying Journal from time to time. As was suggested, a call to Blue Quill Angler might be a good way to get info on this pattern.

PT/TB