Beer Powered Flies

beerpoweredflies

Reaction score
Thanks for the add.

I started a new hobby, filming myself tying flies. I'd really appreciate the views and subscriptions to my channel. Check it out. The name of the channel is...

Beer Powered Flies

Google it. Find me. Watch my videos. Share my videos. Drink beer. Be happy. Tight lines. #flyfishing

I'm still working on my URL for the channel but here the link to the latest video...

[ame]https://youtu.be/SOgc0gYQTVU[/ame]

Bigfly

Reaction score
This one could say moved.......to tying?
About twice a year we get a single poster who wants us to tune in......it goes both ways.
Beer has fueled about 50 years of my tying.......so my opinion, I think you need a good vice.....and focus..

Jim

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I moved your thread to the fly patterns sub-forum.
Here are some tips I'd like to offer to help your tying:
I agree, you need to learn to tie your thread onto a bare hook without flailing around, I almost lost interest right there and the out of focus issue didn't help. I'd also suggest you upgrade your vise to one where you can lock the hook in (with a single motion) without all the fiddling, it will save you a ton of time. Also look on YouTube for videos on dubbing techniques, you need to learn to dub with less material and slowly build up, you will find you get much better results. When working with marabou if you moisten your fingers and then stroke the marabou back, you will have a much easier experience tying the material to the hook.
I really like flying videos that show the entire fly recipe up front, instead of flashing each item on the screen, that way the viewer has a better understanding of all the materials/thread/hooks being used.
You might also find some music that isn't quite as obnoxious, I had to turn the audio off after several minutes of listening to what you had.
Keep at it and you will get better with time.
Stick around and become a regular member here, lots of expert fly tiers that can help you improve.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Good example of why I don't do fly tying videos :) One thing I'd suggest is to go to Intruder wire for the trailer. I've had too many incidences where the power braid allowed the hook to get wrapped up front into the materials due to casting inertia. The result was some missed fish, fish that I traveled far and worked hard to raise.

Wire

stenacron

Reaction score
That was pretty brutal to watch, and I am going to assume that this is the first fly that you have ever attempted to tie. :shades:

My only comment would be on the name... if this thing is meant to imitate a sunfish, then that would be Pumpkinseed (one word).

Also, I thought those little fish head things came with eyes... what's with the Sharpie? :)

dean_mt

Reaction score
Keep practicing, man. And learn how to edit, 18 minutes for a fly tying video are about 12 too many. Watch the video yourself and notice what needs improvement and practice.

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
We actually want people to contribute flies/ideas.....
But when you just start out tying... on camera, you will get some flack.

You should get a lesson on a thread base. (At least)
You don't have to hold the thread, just overlap the thread when you start.
This is a beginner thing......so we knew what was coming before we saw it.
The head could be epoxied....pre-tie.
And I too think eyes are a natural.....they come with the heads right?
We don't start out as fish heros, we have to earn it......
Clean it up, and try again......we'll be here.

Jim

beerpoweredflies

Reaction score
Thank you all for the tips. I had a good tying group until I moved. Now, its just me, so I've taken to Youtube.

I'm not a just one video kinda guy, just trying to get my name out there. I will take all the tips and tricks into consideration for the next fly.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Unless the fly is very complex, the best tying videos seem to be in the 5-10 minute range. If you practice the pattern until it is polished, you can get it done in well under 10 minutes. Instructional commentary is preferable to music, but many would struggle to be entertaining for 18 minutes so that is another reason to speed up the process. As already stated, posting a materials list is good. It allows the viewer to hit pause and take a note if he needs to procure materials before attempting the tie.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

stenacron

Reaction score
...just trying to get my name out there.
What name? Out where? :confused:

Not sure lashing a bunch of random materials to a hook is the way to splash onto the scene. This fly neither resembles a Pumpkin Seed...

Nor a Pumpkinseed...

Maybe you should have called it the Pan African Flag.

wlshafor

Reaction score
Welcome to the family!

Congratulations on the move hopefully there's more water to explore now.

The name "Beer Powered Flies" is a bit edgy in my opinion. Reminds me something that a trendy hipster would name their band. Hopefully your not getting wasted on the beers

Keep at it and don't give up. Tying flies is a beautiful art style that only and not many have mastered the full art. I myself have tied a handful of flies and I'm not making them public on YouTube anytime soon. Maybe after I get my techniques and proper classifications down then I'll make a few videos.

Tight lines my new friend.

If you don't slow down in life to take in what's around you before you know it you'll blink and miss your whole life.

-Warren L. Shafor

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
What name? Out where? :confused:

Not sure lashing a bunch of random materials to a hook is the way to splash onto the scene. This fly neither resembles a Pumpkin Seed...

Nor a Pumpkinseed...

Maybe you should have called it the Pan African Flag.
If you guys don't stop trolling the new guy I am going to buy a couple of these flies off him. Then I'll post pics of bass I caught with them on all your threads for the next year or so. You've been warned. :)

wlshafor

Reaction score

If you guys don't stop trolling the new guy I am going to buy a couple of these flies off him. Then I'll post pics of bass I caught with them on all your threads for the next year or so. You've been warned. :)

If you don't slow down in life to take in what's around you before you know it you'll blink and miss your whole life.

-Warren L. Shafor

stenacron

Reaction score
LOL, no you weren't

Don't worry, I am friends with the mean little troll from Utah. :)
I didn't think I was trolling... more like roasting. :D

On that subject though, the original post fits the very definition of trolling. I half expected it to get scratched from the forum.

I started a new hobby, filming myself tying flies. I'd really appreciate the views and subscriptions to my channel. Check it out. The name of the channel is...

Beer Powered Flies

Google it. Find me. Watch my videos. Share my videos. Drink beer. Be happy. Tight lines. #flyfishing

Bigfly

Reaction score
Generally......the way it works.....is you tie a fly that catches every fish that sees it.
Then you start selling them to friends, then to local shop....
At that point you court fame.....and youtube views....

Maybe watch a few......

But don't quit tying....it's fun without recognition as well.....

Jim

Just think clean......