New Hare’s Ear

kevind62

Reaction score
Decided to try some new material on a hare’s ear.
Hook - #20 curved
Thread - 72D red
Tail - pheasant tail fibers
Thorax - Hare's Ear with chocolate Antron dubbing
Body - tinsel (small)
Wing case - blue jay wing feather (blue side up)

616F99B4-D2C9-436D-9A41-BD121D947008.jpg

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Good looking pattern & good use of materials. :worthy:

However, since it's not tied with "hare's ear", then is it really a Hare's Ear pattern? :shades:

:lol2: Life's mysteries! I'm just messing with you! [poke]

:sorry:

I love the hare's ear style and many nymphs I've tied over the years are fashioned in that style. I've done the same thing with making substitutions and have never given any thought as to whether or not they'll produce, because they always do. Your's will I'm sure!

Generally I stick with some type of natural fur or blend, and in various colors and I like them to be "buggy". That's all that seems to matter. I've got a couple of "hare" masks, and frankly don't know if it makes any difference or if it's even real hare. It's been debated between "real" hare & rabbit, and I can't say I've ever noticed a problem. I tied some with Bobcat fur one time for a fellow and couldn't tell the difference between it & hare/rabbit. Even mixed together in a fly box, they looked identical. :wink:

Let us know how it produces! :thumbsup:

kevind62

Reaction score
Actually it is. I somehow forgot to put that in the material list. I mix a little dubbing with the hare's ear to help it hold together while twisting it on to the thread. I used the Antron for this one to add a little more sparkle. Thanks for pointing this out. :thumbup:

Last edited: