Parachute

kevind62

Reaction score
64029CB8-C7D0-4107-93CB-969A5C8A62D3.jpg

While we’re waiting for the playoff committee to make their decision figured I’d try tying a few dries for out Christmas trip to the Appalachians.

Last edited:

c web

Reaction score
Nice!

Not sure about dries that time of year though but best to be prepared. With that said I fished for about 3 hours on Friday and only fish that made its way to my net was caught on a dry. LOL

kevind62

Reaction score
We'll be in SC on the Eastatoe. Never fished it before but according to what I've read they recommend dries in your arsenal for that time. Just in case you get some unseasonably warm days. Going to need some for the spring anyway, so figured I'd tie up a couple dozen or so.

We won't be far from Tuckasegee and Dillsboro so if we don't find much down there we may head up for a day or two to fish the DH on the Tuckasegee River.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Kevin

Very nice work and a good plan to have some dries for your trip and like you said, even if you don't get a few warm days on your trip, you can still use them next spring.
Don't forget to have some RS-2's, Barr Emergers and Jujubee midges (if your not already stocked up), they should work great this time of year.

silver creek

Reaction score
View attachment 8800

While we’re waiting for the playoff committee to make their decision figured I’d try tying a few dries for out Christmas trip to the Appalachians.
Kevin,

I am curious about the tails on your fly. It may be an optical illusion but to me it looks like the tails have a steep upward cant. Is there a reason the tails are at that angle rather than level with the hook to support the rear of the fly?

kevind62

Reaction score
silver creek
Kevin,

I am curious about the tails on your fly. It may be an optical illusion but to me it looks like the tails have a steep upward cant. Is there a reason the tails are at that angle rather than level with the hook to support the rear of the fly?

Regards,

Silver
Yes Silver, there is. It's from personal experience. All of the small mayflies I've ever seen floating on the water have their tails in the air. I use a gel floatant and take care not to get any on the bare hook. This helps to give the fly a low center of gravity and keep it upright. I'll also cheat and add one or two additional wraps of the hackle to give it a little added surface area for support or use a slightly longer hackle than what's normally used on the hook size. This one is a #20 hook. Just trying to give it a more natural presentation with the tail.

mcnerney
Kevin

Very nice work and a good plan to have some dries for your trip and like you said, even if you don't get a few warm days on your trip, you can still use them next spring.
Don't forget to have some RS-2's, Barr Emergers and Jujubee midges (if your not already stocked up), they should work great this time of year.

Larry
I'll definitely have my array of "American Express" cards in my fly boxes. :D