White Grub Zebra Midge

myt1

Reaction score
Very nice.

I've had good look fishing with those on the Taylor River near Gunnison, Colorado.

kevind62

Reaction score
I thought about tying these After I fished the Smokies last summer. Lots of them under rocks on the banks and some floating on the river. Saw fish hitting them. Figured I'd try them on a midge pattern this coming spring. Lots of the local shops up there carry the grubs in a mop pattern. Tried them but didn't really do good. Only caught a couple fish on them. Thinking they might like the smaller version. This is on a #18

Last edited:

brownbass

Reaction score
A fly shop in St. Louis sells a fly tied with a white embroidery thread and a white head. I can't remember what it's called but he says it can be a killer. The thread supposedly has some UV properties.

Bill

flytie09

Reaction score
This was a secret weapon on a certain TN tailwater. It worked well the first time, then no better than others. Darn trout get conditioned quick.

ft09

kevind62

Reaction score
#18 scud hook
70 denier white thread (body)
Black 70 denier thread (thorax)
Black wire (midge size)
5/64 Gold brass bead

You can coat it with some Zap-A-Gap, other glue or epoxy of your choice. Took the pic before I coated it.

A pheasant tail quill makes a super nice looking one without the need for the wire and it has more of a cream white color to it. Really looks nice once coated.

Good looking fly. What material is the abdomen made of?

kevind62

Reaction score
Make sure you bring a pot of water to a good boil. Drop them in and take it off the stove. Let them soak about 5 minutes before you use them or they'll split.

Thanks Kevin! I'm gonna tie a couple up this afternoon using the pheasant quill instead of wire..

Denny

brownbass

Reaction score
I decided to try something different, a TMC 2499BL, 70 denier white thread, a gold bead. a blend of UV Ice dud and Senyos laser dud and small gold wire. It has caught several fish in murky water on some recent trips. I need to try some with black and red thread. I have been calling it the Waldo. No reason just people ask me what the name is. It was the first thing that came to mind.

Bill

JDR

Reaction score
The quill body midge is really a good looking fly. Going to have to try that one, since the white grubs are very plentiful around the Carolina waters.

bocast

Reaction score
Nice midges in this thread! Posted this red and black midge in another forum. I'm a big fan of this color scheme, and so are the trout. I call it the "Friend of Jack" midge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk