trying something new

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Nice, scottymac... very nice! Your tying skills are progressing well, young Jedi.

Keep at it, my friend. And, by the way, I'm nearly finished with a "care package" that will be headed your way shortly. And, keep pushing your tying boundaries, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Thank you Jerry. I try to take my time and not rush things. I will say I don't care for this dubbing. It was given to me so I might as well use it, but I prefer Hareline Superfine Dubbing for my ants because I can get it to look tight and cleaner.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I think the wings looks terrific. What worries me is the durability.
I agree with you Silver. But I will find out soon enough, and if they don't hold up, I just get more practice tying and trying other types of feathers for the wings. I like these as well, and more durable. Wings are from a starling.

20180304_172658.jpg

20180304_172720.jpg

silver creek

Reaction score
Ant wings tend to be transparent or very slightly opaque white in appearance. If you are going to use feather tips. I suggest using white feather wing tips. How about tying a few of those and letting us know what wing patterns work best.

Here is a search for flying ants:

flying ants - Bing images

These are photos off the internet of the type of wings I tie:

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Nice Silver. I thought of transparent like wings, and will try them when I have the time and remember to get some, or use something to that effect.

The pattern I learned to tie first has a black head and abdominal area with brownish cinnamon color hackle and wings. It has proven to be a deadly fly for browns.

I'll try these this year when the time is right and will let you know how they do, and especially how those wings hold up.

Another member sent me info on the Wally Wing method, and I will be trying that as well.