Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
[TABLE="head]{colsp=2}
Reynolds Pike Fly​

Reynolds Pike Fly |

Type of fly | warmwater, pike, streamer, rabbit strip
Originator of pattern if known | Barry Reynolds
Tied and Submitted by | Diver Dan
Level of tying experience needed to tie this pattern | Intermediate, a little more complicated pattern, previous experience tying different types of patterns helpful
Materials listed in order of tie in:|
Hook | Wide gap stinger style hook, Mustad 37187 size 1/0
Bead | Heart shaped bead from craft store, same color as rabbit strip, white here
Thread | Same color as rabbit, white here
Weedguard | 30-40lb monofilament tied in on top of shank with tag end left trailing to rear of hook for the time being.
Tail | 5" Magnum Zonker strip, white rabbit here
Flash | 4-6 strands of Flashabou or Krystal Flash tied on on each side
Body Collar #1 | Contrasting color of marabou tied in by tip, folded and wrapped 2 turns. Light blue marabou here.
Weed guard tie in | Pull tag end of mono weed guard and tie in with several wraps of thread. The thread wraps will be covered by the rabbit collar in the next step.
Collar #2 | Cross cut rabbit strip, same color as tail. White here.
Eyes | 1/4" 3D molded eyes, epoxied on to roughed up surface on each side of heart shaped bead
Special tying notes |
Target species | Pike, muskellunge, tiger muskie, and big largemouth bass
Fishing notes |

[/TABLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just thought I would let you guys know that the Mustad 37187 hook was discontinued. Daiichi makes a hook exactly like it. Its the Daiichi 2720. I didn't realize when I ordered them however, they are much smaller by size than the Mustad version. The mustad 1/0 has a shank length of 52mm and the 1/0 Daiichi has a shank length of 40mm. The Mustad has a gap of 21mm and the Daiichi has a gap of 17mm. The eye of the Daiichi almost fits through the eye of the Mustad. They have an identical shape and were made for the identical purpose, so how they came up with two such radically different sizes and called them both 1/0 is beyond me. Just be aware if you go with this Daiichi hook, go way bigger than 1/0. I had bought some of the last 37187's left on the planet and they got me through till now. I ordered the Daiichi's and was a tad disapointed in their idea of a 1/0 hook. :mad: It's about a 2 in a Mustad so I would guess you need to go around 3/0 or 4/0 in the Daiichi to get the right size.

Part of what got me through till now was I also tied some on Mustad C52S BLN 2/0 hooks. They are are a tad smaller and have a different design but do OK.

mudbug

Reaction score
I wish there was some standards on this stuff. I have some #6 Daiichi 2546 saltwater hooks that are exact duplicates size and shape as some #8 Gamakatsu SL11-3H hooks I have.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Dan sent me one of these flies and I can testify that pike like them. If you're into pike this is one to learn to make.

Mudbug,

The hook thing is the same with some salmon irons too. Some brands in size 5 are exactly like another makers #4 hook and so on.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have one that was an extra from the swap that I retired after one cast. I broke the 50lb tippet FWFHoF record with it. It works pretty well. The only time I ever use anything for Pike other than them is because it's fun to have them whack a surface fly like a Dahlberg Megadiver or something. Nothing works better than these, but it sure fun to watch a big fish blast a topwater fly. :D

Look at the top of her head. You can see the extra fly from the swap (the bead head anyway).

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
For those who fish Bull Trout or Dolly Varden, just add a little red and that would be awesome for some of the deep pools they are found in. Nice pattern.