Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dancing Caddis

Default Dancing Caddis

Mark

Default Re: Dancing Caddis

Mark - great fly! I have a dozen of so of those hooks. I tied a few of those flies after reading which ever of LaFontaine's books the dancing caddis was in. I'm big fan of all of Gary's work. I'll have to try to tie this again.

On the Swedish hook, is the wing tied onto the body part of the hook or onto the bend? I don't remember. Thanks!

John- I tie the wing on the kinked part of the Swedish hook behind the eye, then wrap the hackle directly over the wing tie-down.

The Swedish hook can be hard to find (and expensive), but you can use a regular straight shank 2x or 3xl fine wire dry hook and just tie it with the hook inverted.

Note: I've never had a problem fishing these flies but some have complained about the danger of having a hook point "brain" a fish or puncture an eye because of the hook up orientation.
    Mark

Blog Entries

Nice flies MarkDo you think I could use the Partrige hook to tie barbel nymps which have to drift on the bottom?

JP, Although it would probably work for nymphs I wouldn't use a Swedish hook.

Try just using a regular nymph hook but tie the barbell (or beadchain) eyes on top of the hook shank (like a clouser minnow) as the first tying step---
    the weight of the barbell or beadchain eyes tied on top of the hook shank should flip the hook so it rides hook point up.

After this step, invert the hook in the vise so it's positioned with the hook point up, and complete the fly.

After you tie the first one (and before you tie the next 100), test it in some water to make sure it rides correctly with hook point up.

The Swedish hook is expensive and can be hard to find, so I don't use it much.
    Mark

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice Mark