Lynch’s white bellied mouse

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
It looks interesting to tie and fish. Seems easy to tie, but I’m stumped on the underbody. I can’t locate anything online other than a video with no words and bad music, but it seems to have an underbody of foam. Or is it something else?
Insights are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennyk

Reaction score
It looks interesting to tie and fish. Seems easy to tie, but I’m stumped on the underbody. I can’t locate anything online other than a video with no words and bad music, but it seems to have an underbody of foam. Or is it something else?
Insights are welcome.

Joey, I see what you mean about the music. In watching a couple of the videos my best guess for the under body is white rabbit zonker strips. Possibly long white schlappen feathers would work as well.

Denny

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Yeah. I see that the body is a fur of some kind. But it looks like some of the videos show a foam strip under that for flotation. But it’s tied down tight, seeming to crush the foam. That would kill flotation I’d assumed. I’ll try a few and see how it goes.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Ok. I’ve checked a few other annoying videos and seems that the underbody is optional. So I’ll wrap some with and some without and see how it all works out.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Yep. One of the annoying videos I was describing.
Just an observation that the articulated mouse pattern is not a new concept. The No-body Muddler tied and fished by Del Canty on Flaming Gorge in the 1970’s is essentially a prototype for the White-bellied mouse.
Here’s the No-body.

And here’s the White-bellied

Foam replaced deer hair and rabbit replaced badger. Otherwise similar design, identical concept and equal results on monster browns as demonstrated by Tommy Lynch on the Arkansas lunkers!

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
Joey, try one crushed, and one floaty......
I like foam in fore body, but I also tie into tail for a different action....

Jim

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I tied a couple without any underbody to see how those work. If it sinks or doesn’t work too well, I’ll mess around with some underbody materials.

TightLineTherapy

Yosemite Fly Guide
Reaction score
Ive been fishing this and now started tying them. I've found the foam core works well and I just leave a tab sticking up the top. Also sometimes the fight like it more when its struggling in the water as opposed to all on top, I feel like it works more realistic. I tie some of them with bucktail for the tail with a rubber band in it to save on zonker strips, I also like leaving two tags of zonker strips in the back floating freely, it makes it look like two fat hind legs moving in the water, I put my rubber legs on the back only.

I missed a 30" brown last night on one of these, got me tangled up in some submerged branches, went for an indintended swim going for him and he broke a 20# mono leader, wish I would have dove in head first and threw my rod! Dammit!

fatbillybob

Reaction score
, got me tangled up in some submerged branches, went for an indintended swim going for him and he broke a 20# mono leader, wish I would have dove in head first and threw my rod! Dammit!
I'd like to fish at night for these monsters but I'd probably end up tripping and breaking my leg. I'm a little past my sell by date and not real steady wading in bright sunlight. All you young guys better get after it. You will be restricted to fishing guides and drift boats soon enough!

TightLineTherapy

Yosemite Fly Guide
Reaction score
Yea I hear you, I know that day will come for me. Hopefully I have a son or fishing buddy to go out with so I can keep getting after it until the day I die., That said I have spots and access to water designated for night fishing in which I can walk an 80 year old female client down no problem. The number 1 rule of night fishing is you only fish water you are intimately familiar with, safety is always #1.

If you ever want to fish Yosemite, (day or night!) please look me up or reach out here.