Caddis flies

dcfoster

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me identify these three flies. I’ve been told by different people that they are all Caddis imitations… But others weren’t sure. So I would really love to know the name of these three flies and what they are supposed to imitate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
I don't know whether a specific pattern name will tell you what the fish "think" the flies are. They are all wet flies.

For example, the middle fly could be taken for a caddis but it also could represent a small bait fish or even a something like a damsel fly nymph.

The bottom fly could be taken for caddis since green is a frequent color for a caddis bot it also could be taken for a mayfly nymph.

Here is a list of some classic wet flies. Tell me if you can discern what insect they imitate from the name of the fly"

Classic Wet Flies

Abbey
Black and Orange
Blue Bottle
Brandreth
Cassin
Catskill
Dr. Burke
Fergusun
Fish Hawk
Fontinalis Fin
Grizzly King
Last Chance
Leadwing Coachman
Parmachene Belle
Pebble Beach
Pink Lady
Royal Coachman
Silver Doctor
Telephone Box
Tomah Joe
Trout Fin
Beauty
Blae and Black
Butcher
Dark Montreal
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear
Greenwell's Glory
Hardy's Favorite
Light Caddis
Mallard and Claret
Governor
Guinea Hen
Silver and Black
Teal, Blue, and Silver
Whickham's Fancy

bigjim5589

Reaction score
There are many thousands of fly patterns that may not be well known, and some may not even have names. Most folks who tie flies will have some in their fly boxes.

I agree with Silver Creek, those are all wet flies, but what they may imitate, only the fish will know for sure. Us humans make too many assumptions sometimes.

Doesn't matter, as long as the fish take the flies. If your intention is to copy them, they could certainly be Caddis imitations. I would tie them in a couple of sizes, then you have more options for fishing them. ;)

silver creek

Reaction score
1. Mottled caddis dry
2. Caddis emerger
3. Soft hackle caddis pupa

my guesses
I think #1 could be a dry fly. I didn't notice the palmered hackle on the body initially. If it is a dry fly, I think the the wing is too upright for a dry caddis. I think it would be a better imitation for a mayfly.

If it is a wet fly, I think it is version greenwells glory winged wet fly.

Barbless Greenwells Glory | The Essential Fly | Wet Flies

The "mottled caddis" dry fly I know of refers to the mottled wing as in the fly below:

Brown Mottled Caddis Fly - Trout Fly Pattern | RiverBum.com

bumble54

Reaction score
The top one looks like a Grouse and green, a classic for hatching Caddis on the big waters over here. The others are a mystery to me.

silver creek

Reaction score
The top one looks like a Grouse and green, a classic for hatching Caddis on the big waters over here. The others are a mystery to me.
Here's a Grouse and Green from an internet search. Is this the pattern you mean?

Grouse & Green | The Essential Fly | Wet Flies

What struck me is the palmered dry fly hackle on body the top pattern which is a sign of a dry fly. Also the hackle in front of the wing is heavily hackled with dry fly hackle. Maybe it is supposed to be a skittering dry fly pattern --> travelling sedge.

Traveling Sedge~Caddis (skittering, running, motoring along…a wallow and a glump) | SwittersB & Exploring

bumble54

Reaction score
Here's a Grouse and Green from an internet search. Is this the pattern you mean?

Grouse & Green | The Essential Fly | Wet Flies

What struck me is the palmered dry fly hackle on body the top pattern which is a sign of a dry fly. Also the hackle in front of the wing is heavily hackled with dry fly hackle. Maybe it is supposed to be a skittering dry fly pattern --> travelling sedge.

Traveling Sedge~Caddis (skittering, running, motoring along…a wallow and a glump) | SwittersB & Exploring

The grouse and green is, just like every fly, variable depending of the tier and can be varied to suit conditions.
It is, or at least used to be, common practice to add a body hackle for fishing in rougher conditions or when using it as the bob fly in a team of three. this is even more common on Irish lough fly patterns.
I think people get too hung up about exactness when trying to tie a particular pattern, only the originator of a pattern can know what they were trying to achieve and whether or not it was as successful as it could have been.
It would be a mistake to think that every illustration of any particular fly is to be taken as gospel and the only way the fly should look.
The "classic" Grouse and Green is often seen in different books tied in so many differing ways that you would hardly think it were the same pattern. My own variation ( aren't all flies a variation of the original? ) has a Jay throat hackle for the waters I fish and a body hackle for rough water or bob position, without if I put it on the point of a team of three.
There is also the complication of the Woodcock and green, Mallard and green, Teal and green and so on, they are all variations on a theme.

The Grouse and Green in your illustration would be considered grossly overdressed for many waters I fish.