Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there a name for this fly?

Thisis just an ultra simple "nymph" like fly made of 3 barbs of peackock hurl wound on a hook shank. Nothing else. It is popular (and effective) for still water fishing here in the NE but nobody I've found knows what it's called. Anybody familure with it?
    (Sorry for the lousy picture but I thik it gives you the idea.)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a name for this fly?

The closest I can come is an unfinished version of the pattern called the Zug Bug.

Denny

Thanks, I'm aware of that one (and fish them from time to time. ) This one is simpler though. No hackle, no wing, no rib. Just a hook herl and thread.

Blog Entries

If you mean peacock herl with a rib then I don't think it would have a name.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Dont know the name, but it looks like Bluegill would like it!

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

Well, okay, i will ask: what mountain range is that?

I'd call it a peacock nymph.

There are several variations on the web. This on adds a bead chain eyes, some ribbing, and some angel hair to the body to the peacock herl tail and abdomen. Peacock Nymph

peacock_nymph.jpg

Would make a deadly dragonfly nymph.........

If you want to keep it stripped down and easy......I would highly suggest at a bare minimum to consider counter ribbing the peacock herl body with fine wire as peacock herls are rather delicate and keeps it from unraveling.

Very similar to the original Frank Sawyer tried and true pheasant tail nymph.

TYING THE PTN TO THE ORIGINAL PATTERN - TomSutcliffe - The Spirit of Fly Fishing

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    If you mean peacock herl with a rib then I don't think it would have a name.
    Not even a rib. Just the 3 strands of precock herl wound onto the hook. Maybe there isn't enough fly there to warrent a name :-)
    The Trout sure like it though!

9. Likes Ard liked this post

Peacock works for anything! The fly could be called a "Lazy Guide Fly". After a long tiring day on the river a guide could whip up hundreds before going to bed for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    I'd call it a peacock nymph.

There are several variations on the web. This on adds a bead chain eyes, some ribbing, and some angel hair to the body to the peacock herl tail and abdomen. Peacock Nymph

peacock_nymph.jpg

Would make a deadly dragonfly nymph.........

If you want to keep it stripped down and easy......I would highly suggest at a bare minimum to consider counter ribbing the peacock herl body with fine wire as peacock herls are rather delicate and keeps it from unraveling.

Very similar to the original Frank Sawyer tried and true pheasant tail nymph.

TYING THE PTN TO THE ORIGINAL PATTERN - TomSutcliffe - The Spirit of Fly Fishing
    I'm liking the look of that one! It's actually very close to what I have above. Actually VERY close to a simple Dampsel Fly pattern I found on UTB that uses ostrich herl . I've been tying these by substituting peacock for the entire tail , body and wing casing. The Trout have shown a fondness for those as well.

12. Likes trs liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast