Baby Bass Airhead Minnow

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
I think the bigger bass are canniballizing the baby bass right now. Heres what i came up with, i have too much craft fur. This airhead style baby bass. What do yall think?
YouTube

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
It's pretty much a clouser with craft fur. I'd go very sparse on the fur and it will swim nice. Thanks for sharing your work.
I have been using craft fur for awhile and started using SF fiber. But in the video i reverse tie them and it makes them sparse. It's hard to tie too much craft fur it's always sparse. The SF fiber needs top be tapered before reverse tying it. This is a #4 gamakatsu hook. It tied a #12 in this style and purple, it was great for throwing on my 4wt and catching some decent bass.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have been using craft fur for awhile and started using SF fiber. But in the video i reverse tie them and it makes them sparse. It's hard to tie too much craft fur it's always sparse. The SF fiber needs top be tapered before reverse tying it. This is a #4 gamakatsu hook. It tied a #12 in this style and purple, it was great for throwing on my 4wt and catching some decent bass.

My first half dozen synthetic streamers weren't sparse enough. They didn't swim well at all and caught nothing. That's the only reason I mentioned it. No intent to be critical. Have you tied bunny strips yet? You can fancy them up and they do really well for bass and pike.

Keep tying! Streamers are a LOT of fun to tie and fish.

clsmith131

Reaction score
Great looking flies, I agree with you on the craft fur, when wet, it really shrinks. I tend to mix the materials you have there. The craft fur has great movement, while the SF hold the profile. What I like to do is tie a long polar flash tail, extending from the eye to 1-2" beyond the SF blend. Polar flash is polar fiber, which is a long craft fur, and flash mixed, so it has that real flowy movement, with the addition of flash. I've posted these before in the "what have you been tying thread". In this one, I also added EP fibers on the back and belly, I tried to really give this fly a tall profile to imitate large spawning threadfin. Maybe I'll take a page from your book and reverse tie some craft fur to get a fuller nose.20190501_230644.jpg

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
Great looking flies, I agree with you on the craft fur, when wet, it really shrinks. I tend to mix the materials you have there. The craft fur has great movement, while the SF hold the profile. What I like to do is tie a long polar flash tail, extending from the eye to 1-2" beyond the SF blend. Polar flash is polar fiber, which is a long craft fur, and flash mixed, so it has that real flowy movement, with the addition of flash. I've posted these before in the "what have you been tying thread". In this one, I also added EP fibers on the back and belly, I tried to really give this fly a tall profile to imitate large spawning threadfin. Maybe I'll take a page from your book and reverse tie some craft fur to get a fuller nose.View attachment 17312
You can reverse tie the SF fiber it has to be tapered though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Great looking flies, I agree with you on the craft fur, when wet, it really shrinks. I tend to mix the materials you have there. The craft fur has great movement, while the SF hold the profile. What I like to do is tie a long polar flash tail, extending from the eye to 1-2" beyond the SF blend. Polar flash is polar fiber, which is a long craft fur, and flash mixed, so it has that real flowy movement, with the addition of flash. I've posted these before in the "what have you been tying thread". In this one, I also added EP fibers on the back and belly, I tried to really give this fly a tall profile to imitate large spawning threadfin. Maybe I'll take a page from your book and reverse tie some craft fur to get a fuller nose.View attachment 17312
I need to try that jig hook idea. Really gets the hook gape up and out of the tying materials.