Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Where to buy soft hackle capes and saddles in Canada

Hello,
    Does anyone know of a Canadian fly shop that carries a good assortment of soft hackle feathers? I am tying soft hackle flies and need a better selection of soft hackles than what I have. To order them from the US I get hit with the foreign exchange which is steep. Any help will be greatly appreciated as most fly shops carry either none or a very small assortment. Thank you.
    All the best,

Tim
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
    The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.

Default Re: Where to buy soft hackle capes and saddles in Canada

I've only ever dealt with one shop in Canada & that's Togen's. No idea what type of inventory they carry, as have only ever purchased online from them, and mostly hooks. togensflyshop.com

I hope this helps you.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

The only shop I've ever dealt with was Grand River Trout Fitters, in Fergus, Ont. I stopped in Fergus, several times to fish the Grand River, on my way to a lodge further north, and stopped in the shop. I did pick up some large bags of CDC for a reasonable price. Service was good. This was several years ago. They do have an on-line shop, so they might be worth checking out to see if they have what you're looking for.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Look at Drift outfitters or flymart.ca
    Danny

Yorkshire UK a mile or so from the sea and my nearest trout stream

Hi

I am in the UK and we have a online dealer here called Cookshill. Cookshill Fly Tying Materials. I doubt you will find anyone anywhere who can supply better Spider materials . His English partridge skins are superb. The pound is pretty low right now so you could. get a decent deal .

G S

6. Default Re: Where to buy soft hackle capes and saddles in Canada

Thank you for the help and ideas. I found 2 shops that have a reasonable amount of soft hackle skins/feathers. The first shop is Flymart and the other shop is Salmo Nature. I ordered a $100 yesterday from Flymart so I will see what the service is like. My next order will likely go to the other shop to see what their service is like.
    All the best,

Tim
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
    The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.