Lamson Reel help, Please

Flyflkr

Reaction score
Just acquired a Lamson reel. But I need some help.

The reel is marked "Steelhead" on one side of reel mounting bracket and "DEMO" on the other. It has a black frame with a center "axle" cover in 1/2" chrome; it also has a chrome knob at the edge of the frame. The drag adjustment is a plane circle with a knurling and has the Lamson ID logo with no other markings.

Anyone have knowledge of how to disassemble the reel or as to how to change it from left to right handed? Or steer me to someone who might know the reel...

Thanks,

Flyflkr

kruggy1

Reaction score
I have 3 lamsons and they way you get them apart is just pull the frame and spool apart. Once apart you will see a knurled knob ,loosen it and pull out the clutch assembly and turn it 180degrees and put it back in that should change your retrieve.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Just acquired a Lamson reel. But I need some help.

The reel is marked "Steelhead" on one side of reel mounting bracket and "DEMO" on the other. It has a black frame with a center "axle" cover in 1/2" chrome; it also has a chrome knob at the edge of the frame. The drag adjustment is a plane circle with a knurling and has the Lamson ID logo with no other markings.

Anyone have knowledge of how to disassemble the reel or as to how to change it from left to right handed? Or steer me to someone who might know the reel...

Thanks,

Flyflkr
Based on the chrome knob, I'm fairly sure you have a Lamson reel that has been out of production for years, and doesn't sound like their common LP series either. I don't know it specifically, but I would guess if there's not a spring loaded lever near the center of the handle side of the reel, that a screw holds the spool on.

Is the "steelhead" marking a sticker on the reel foot? If so, I would guess it is a demo SA Steelhead line on the reel, and the reel model name is something else altogether.

Good luck.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Flyflkr,

I think Cliff is right. But I thought that the LP series was the first reel that Lamson put their name on. Before the LP Lamson was making reels for Orvis and maybe others. Why don't you post some pictures or contact Lamson.

Frank