Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default 3/5 wt or 5/7 wt for 5 wt rod?

I'm looking for a reel for a 5wt rod and Allen Trout series reel. Should I get the smaller 3/5wt or 5/7wt? Or goes it matter much? Since the reels are sold online I can't try them on the rod. The rod is a TFO Pro 9', 5wt.

Thanks,
    Eddie

Blog Entries

Default Re: 3/5 wt or 5/7 wt for 5 wt rod?

Eddie: Personally, I would get the larger reel. I always like to have a reel that has a good length of backing plus the fly line without causing crowding on the reel. If you tend to just fish small streams where the backing isn't as important than the smaller reel might work better for you.

Larry
    Larry

Hi Eddie,

I would think about what rod you might buy next. If you think a 3wt or 4wt is in your future than the 3/5 would be my choice. Just get a second spool and use the same reel on both rods. If you see a 6wt or 7wt in your future then go for the 5/7. Again the one reel can serve both rods with a spare spool.

Frank

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I would get the bigger reel. I am one of those guys that thinks there is no such thing as to much backing. I err on the big side every time. You never know when that giant fish will come along, maybe even a species you were not fishing for and peel you out into the next zip code. For example, a 38 1/2" Northern Pike I got Smallmouth fishing with my 5 wt. Better yet, it had bite marks all the way down it, where a much bigger one had ahold of it. What if it had been the bigger Pike?

I would go with the 5/7 as well, my 3/5 fits my 3wt perfectly. It would be a stretch to throw 80ft of 5wt line and backing on that little reel.

Blog Entries

I absolutely agree with the other posters. About the time you hook up with the fish of your dreams you'll want the added beef...-Mike

The TFO Pro series are not especially light, so I'd go with the larger option.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

To me, if depends on the rod...I prefer some decent balance in my rod/reel outfits. Usually, I go smaller, unless I think I'm going to overline...that probably does not make much difference, but I do consider this...
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

9. Default Re: 3/5 wt or 5/7 wt for 5 wt rod?

Thanks for the advice guys; I ordered the Allen Alpha 5/6 reel. I would have bought one of his NanoTi rods also but I can't wait that long. This will be my first rig.

Eddie