Click and Pawl

Chukwithak

Reaction score
I hope I titled it by the proper terminology. I just bought my first click and pawl reel, and ABEL T/R2, and it should be this week to be fished this weekend. Is there a "proper" way or "tactic" to the click and pawl reel? Any Youtube's or Vimeo's someone could point out?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
You may have to palm the rim if a fish wants to run on you, but other than that, fish it like any other reel.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Press your palm against the spool rim to slow down a fish.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
As Dennis mentioned "Press your palm against the spool rim to slow a running fish".

If I may add to what Dennis said.....start with light pressure from your palm just below the reel, over time you'll get a feeling as to where your drag should be set and just how much pressure you need to apply. Heavy tippet = more drag, light tippet = less drag.
And one more thing....watch your knuckles and avoid contact with the reel handle when you have a hot fish running, along with bruised knuckles, it can cost you the fish.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have used Orvis CFO's and Hardy marquis reels for a long time and can say it will come natural for you. You needn't watch a film to get on to palming your reel. As long as you are fishing for trout the clicker may give you enough drag for all but the largest specimen.

Ard

mathews42

Reaction score
The Abel TR series reels are nice! I had a TR-1. Ended up getting a TXL and matching it to a Click 3. The TR- series do not have a "adjustable drag" its a tensioning spring, that you should get a extra of. You have to preset what you want. Keep it loose enough you don't nest your line. They are spring creek rods mainly. But you'll get the hang of it when you get a fish on. Instinct will take over! You will have a lot of fun with that reel.

Jeff

Jackster

Reaction score
Maybe it's just the size fish I catch, but most times just using the pad of your finger as the drag will get you out of trouble and still prevent popping tippets.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Not that it's an issue here, but on spools without an exposed rim you'd stick your finger right inside the reel and finger the line.
It's not rocket science (and many people hate that :D )

Or you could do what I do...... but maybe not to an Abel :surprise:

burk48237

Reaction score
I actually made the transition from conventional dragged reels to all click and pawl except for SW and Carp a few years ago. I've caught everything that swims in FW except King Salmon in AK including some huge Silvers in AK, and MI Kings with click and pawl reels. Many of my reels don't even have palming rims, but I find adjusted properly a light bit of fingertip pressure is all that is needed. I'm convinced that for trout, especially on light tippets, C & P is the best system. A disc drag will not both prevent overruns and protect light tippets during hook set. It just can't do it.

If you set your C & P properly you will not get overrun when a good fish takes a nice run. So your basic responsibility is to provide extra pressure. It's really not as hard or as much pressure as you think. Although I must admit, a big silver in AK can pull. The bigger C & P reels have larger pawls and heavier duty springs. For years these reels the go to reels for Atlantic Salmon, So they'll probably handle most of the fish you encounter.

russellb

Reaction score
Congrats on the Abel TR, I think you will like it. I have recently purchased a couple of these and after so many years of disc reels the C/P is a nice change. I have found that my Abels have just the right amount of tension that for most fish palming is not really needed. The reels has an internally adjustable drag by simply rotating the little hex nuts that control the spring tension. Currently I have my set on the lowest setting and the drag has a great balance between enough tension yet not too much that a light tippet might be at risk. The instructions advise to set the hex nuts on different levels depending on whether you are right or left hand. I have both set on the lowest setting and there is still a difference between incoming and out going tension.

nimblybimbly85

Reaction score
I'm a newbie

I bought a Fenwick with a pfleuger medalist reel. I believe it is a click and pawl. However it has a metal knob/screw that I believe is for drag however I don't notice a difference when I turn it and pull line out.

How do I palm a medalist?

I've been controling my line with my finger pressing it against the rod cork when a fish runs, I read that is bad for the line. Is that a problem?

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I'm a newbie

I bought a Fenwick with a pfleuger medalist reel. I believe it is a click and pawl. However it has a metal knob/screw that I believe is for drag however I don't notice a difference when I turn it and pull line out.

I've been controling my line with my finger pressing it against the rod cork when a fish runs, I read that is bad for the line. Is that a problem?
This is a really old thread; the last post before yours was in 2011. You may get a better response by starting your own thread. Then again, sometimes people will find your post here anyway and give you some answers.

For myself, I don't have much experience with Medalist reels, but I can't imagine they're that different to palm than any other reel. Ergo, place your slightly cupped palm against the rim of the spool (part that spins), keeping your thumb well away from the reel. Increase or decrease pressure as needed while playing your fish/bat/bird/small child/domestic pet.

Peace.

P.S. While it is possible that some damage to your fly line might occur using the method you describe, for most trout fishing I'd guess that it would be a non-issue.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Jackster

Reaction score
The medalist probably has a closed frame in that the frame covers the rim of the spool. That makes a reel usually stronger and stiffer but you pay the price of no palming rim. Google 'Lefty Medalist drag' and maybe toss the word 'leather' in the search. Lefty Kreh told about a home made drag system for that reel. On clicker reels I will put a finger on the line still on the spinning spool to add brake. I got to really like clickers with exposed palming rims and replaced most of my full frame reels.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Ah, see there, I completely forgot about the closed reel thing. In that case, ignore everything I said. I believe there's a way to use your index finger against the side of the reel, but I don't know anything about that. Hopefully one of the more Medalist-savvy guys will explain how that is done.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
I fell pretty hard for the Sage Click reel after trying one of the 1st Gen versions. The new version is even better. I have then on every trout rod through 5wt and am even thinking about getting one for my 6wt rods.

I have great control over the fish and the light weight makes it easier to fish all day.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I'm a newbie

Depends which model Medalist. The old models designated with a model number that includes "RC" (for "rim control") have a palming rim on the outer edge of the spool face, as does the newest (current) model. With those, you simply press your palm against the rim of the spool face to act as a brake. However, on the original models the outer frame encloses the spool, so there is no outer rim to palm. On those, to apply additional drag you would either press your finger against the line inside the spool as it is turning, or else cut a hole in the frame to apply pressure with your fingers against the back of the spool as pictured in one of the older posts up above.

It would dirty the line a little quicker, and might wear it out a little sooner too. Not really a serious problem though, especially if you clean and dress your line after every few outings (which you should probably do anyway).

nimblybimbly85

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I have a new medalist in 3/4

Which side would the rim control be on? I have it set up with the crank on the left when holding the rod straight out.

itchmesir

Reaction score
The "rim control" is the rim of the spool(the part the line is on... Spins around) You palm the rim to add tension.

flytie09

Reaction score
Not a palming suggestion.... But more reel maintenance. Lube w/ a small dab of grease to pawl and drag adjusting screw 1x/yr and a drop of light oil to spindle.

There's oodles of various lubes out there.... Hotsauce gets high marks for grease as it has good water resistance and is safe to aluminum.

ft09