Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus FWX

Default Re: Nautilus FWX

I am finding the FWX 5/6 with line for $240 - $250(to include Shark Skin). That works for me, thank guys

Which colour do you guys like? (black or silver) I am going to have to order this as it is not available locally.

For those looking for a Nautilus reel with a stronger drag, I would focus on testing out a Nautilus CCF or Nautilus NV. Both of these reels would fit the niche for salmon, steelhead, bonefish, permit, etc., where a premium is placed on drag strength. The NV offers a stronger version of the CCF drag.

I would recommend the FWX to anyone looking for a high quality trout or bass reel.

As for color, I own one FW 5 and one FWX 3/4, both in black. I always listen to anglers discuss whether or not glare off of silver or titanium colored reels spooks fish. Since the water I fish with each of these could be shallow, clear, and small, I figure black is the way to go, that way I do not have to worry about the glare / no glare debate. Nautilus also offers many different custom colored reels and parts if you really want to spend extra cash.

As mentioned earlier, both of these reels are very light which was important to me when balancing rods that are generally lighter than most others on the market. I emailed Nautilus to ask them about the drag on the original FW and they replied that the reel would distribute a max of 5 pounds of drag force. The new FWX seems to be the same. I'm also a fan of the aluminum drag knob. I prefer it over the plastic knobs on competitor's reels. I have no complaints and have been very happy with the quality of machining.
    Last edited by chicagojohn; 03-20-2011 at 05:00 PM.

3. Default Re: Nautilus FWX

I am also looking at a Nautilus FW 7+ reel for myself! Anyone have one for sale?

If I can come up with the funds this summer, a FWX will likely be going on my next 8wt (mostly for winter steelhead, coho and the yearly bonefish trip). They seem like fantastic reels.

Blog Entries

Revived and old thread vs starting a new one.

I am 99.9999% sure I am getting a FWX 3/4 for my Sage One 3WT tomorrow
    Anyone have any experience with these in the silver finish ? Is it susceptible to dings and nicks easily like my copper evolution ?

Also any opinions on the finish as far as to shiny / reflective ? I can't imagine it is to bad but I'm bored and thought I'd ask.

Since I have Lamson's and Evolution's I want to try something new and this FWX is a beauty at a decent price point ( will save enough $ to buy the fabled Abel nippers hahahahah)
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

sbreech Guest

Quote Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
    Revived and old thread vs starting a new one.

I am 99.9999% sure I am getting a FWX 3/4 for my Sage One 3WT tomorrow
    Anyone have any experience with these in the silver finish ? Is it susceptible to dings and nicks easily like my copper evolution ?

Also any opinions on the finish as far as to shiny / reflective ? I can't imagine it is to bad but I'm bored and thought I'd ask.

Since I have Lamson's and Evolution's I want to try something new and this FWX is a beauty at a decent price point ( will save enough $ to buy the fabled Abel nippers hahahahah)
    I've had my silver FWX 3/4 for a couple seasons of heavy use....and it still looks like new. I take care of my reels, but they take the daily dunk in the river, sat down on the bank, etc etc...usual stuff. Tough reel, light weight, and will compliment the Abel nippers nicely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
    I've had my silver FWX 3/4 for a couple seasons of heavy use....and it still looks like new. I take care of my reels, but they take the daily dunk in the river, sat down on the bank, etc etc...usual stuff. Tough reel, light weight, and will compliment the Abel nippers nicely.
    Thank you very much,

I am assuming you don't find the silver finish to shiny or you probably wouldn't have bought it / fished it for tat long
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

sbreech Guest

I wouldn't call the silver finish flashy at all - maybe a satin finish? Think silver of a Diet Coke 12 pack BOX, not the can, the box. And in reality, there is very little black objects that occur in nature, so when I have the option of non-blingy silver or black, I'll pick silver any day. That's not to say I don't have black reels, because I do...but I prefer the satin silver. My FW 5/6 actually has a silver frame with a black spool, and my two Bauers and Abel are all black...go figure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
    I wouldn't call the silver finish flashy at all - maybe a satin finish? Think silver of a Diet Coke 12 pack BOX, not the can, the box. And in reality, there is very little black objects that occur in nature, so when I have the option of non-blingy silver or black, I'll pick silver any day. That's not to say I don't have black reels, because I do...but I prefer the satin silver. My FW 5/6 actually has a silver frame with a black spool, and my two Bauers and Abel are all black...go figure.

Well the shop owes you a commission , you sealed the deal for them.

Your stack O' reels makes me drool. I have one of those Bauers and they are so sweet. Glad to be adding a Nautilus to my arsenal tomorrow

PS nice subtle placement of those Abel nippers. I think I'm getting a pair tomorrow and a pair for my buddy for a birthday gift

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

Thanks for your help SBreech

Smooth handling reel in the shop, and super good looking , I can't wait til next Saturday to give her the real test

Last edited by comeonavs; 02-02-2013 at 04:21 PM.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

11. Likes N/A, jaybo41 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast