Nautilus FWX

simms

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Anyone pick up one of these gems? I have a 3/4 and its a beauty, however I have not been able to take it out yet...Damn ice/snow here in Massachusetts still have the rivers locked solid...

Was thinking about equipping one of my 6 weights with the 7/8 FWX's, so was hoping to hear some good reviews on these babies and you ya'll like them...If not the FWX, its gonna be a galvan.

Thanks, looking forward to the replies!!!

darwin

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing the FWX also and was hoping this thread would give the the 2nd approval I need. :yikes: I looked at this one on the Caddis Fly Shop web site and they say they used them for the guides and rentals, sounds like they love them. Give them a call, nice helpful guys.

ddombos2

Reaction score
Guys, you might want to try a Search. There have been a number of threads discussing the FWX, particularly its use for higher line weights.

simms

Reaction score
The search revealed only one POST onthe FWX...Please can you link me to others since you seem to know better?

ddombos2

Reaction score
Try searching "Nautilus FWX.". It pulled in a lot more hits (some related to their other reels that need to be weeded out).

Really Recent
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/109039-nautilus-fwx-reel.html

You started this one, but there weren't many replies.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/72304-any-reviews-nautilus-fwx-yet-fw-then.html

More below...

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/96073-6wt-saltwater-reel-sage-xi3.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/99594-medium-priced-reel-200-300-a.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/62721-nautilus-fwx-compared-galvan.html

Didn't mean to be a jerk. It just ends up being really nice when this stuff finds it's way into a few good threads rather than spread out over a bunch of short ones.

darwin

Reaction score
ddombos2 Thanks for information. :wiggle:
With the Nautilus being so light and weak on high end drag I may just stick with Lamson or Ross. I am putting the new real on an 11' 4# nymph rod and want a good balance. I do like the looks of the FWX and the reviews are fine for trout... I dunno what to do :rolleyes:
Thanks.

ddombos2

Reaction score
ddombos2 Thanks for information. :wiggle:
With the Nautilus being so light and weak on high end drag I may just stick with Lamson or Ross. I am putting the new real on an 11' 4# nymph rod and want a good balance. I do like the looks of the FWX and the reviews are fine for trout... I dunno what to do :rolleyes:
Thanks.
I own an FW 7 Plus, and no it isn't going to lock the spool down to an absolute dead stop. That said, I think the drag is functional for many applications. There are people who use the FW 7 Series on bones and steelhead. On a 4wt rod, how much drag do you need?

An FWX 3/4 or a 5/6 would probably be a good fit on a 4wt switch rod.

Lamsons or Rosses are good options too, as are the Galvans.

simms

Reaction score
I have the 3/4 FWX and is sick...Plenty of drag for those pesky 16'' trout on the 8' 4wt.. :)

I am going to go witht he 7/8 for my steelie reel...i have a Galvan t-8, however this reel is more of a "back up"...Drag should be fine..>If not, thats why god made palms! :)

chicagojohn

Reaction score
I also own a Nautilus FWX 3/4 and love it. I needed a reel to balance an 8 foot 4 weight, and this one did it the best. The reel is light, the drag system is very nice and certainly more than what you would need on a 3/4 weight rod.

I also own the Nautilus FW 5 reel for use on a six weight. It is only .4 ounces heavier than the comparable FWX 5/6. The old FW reels will accept the new FWX spool. Having owned this reel, purchasing a new FWX reel was an easy decision.

I have been very impressed by the quality of Nautilus Reels. My first reel was a Ross, and I still love my Ross Reels. Nautilus provides the same quality at a very competitive price. The FWX reels are actually slightly lighter than the Evolution LT series.

There are many fine reel manufacturers to choose from. Price inevitably plays a role in my decisions. Nautilus provides one of the lightest, highest quality reels for the price.

ddombos2

Reaction score
I also own a Nautilus FWX 3/4 and love it. I needed a reel to balance an 8 foot 4 weight, and this one did it the best. The reel is light, the drag system is very nice and certainly more than what you would need on a 3/4 weight rod.

I also own the Nautilus FW 5 reel for use on a six weight. It is only .4 ounces heavier than the comparable FWX 5/6. The old FW reels will accept the new FWX spool. Having owned this reel, purchasing a new FWX reel was an easy decision.

I have been very impressed by the quality of Nautilus Reels. My first reel was a Ross, and I still love my Ross Reels. Nautilus provides the same quality at a very competitive price. The FWX reels are actually slightly lighter than the Evolution LT series.

There are many fine reel manufacturers to choose from. Price inevitably plays a role in my decisions. Nautilus provides one of the lightest, highest quality reels for the price.
This is not the first time I find myself in absolute agreement with chicagojohn. I like these reels up to steelhead and periodic saltwater. I'm pretty sure the Nautilus guys actually fish the FWX 7/8 on their light bonefish rigs. I would shy away from them on dedicated salmon, snook, and bull redfish.

darwin

Reaction score
I am finding the FWX 5/6 with line for $240 - $250(to include Shark Skin). That works for me, thank guys ;)

Which colour do you guys like? (black or silver) I am going to have to order this as it is not available locally.

chicagojohn

Reaction score
For those looking for a Nautilus reel with a stronger drag, I would focus on testing out a Nautilus CCF or Nautilus NV. Both of these reels would fit the niche for salmon, steelhead, bonefish, permit, etc., where a premium is placed on drag strength. The NV offers a stronger version of the CCF drag.

I would recommend the FWX to anyone looking for a high quality trout or bass reel.

As for color, I own one FW 5 and one FWX 3/4, both in black. I always listen to anglers discuss whether or not glare off of silver or titanium colored reels spooks fish. Since the water I fish with each of these could be shallow, clear, and small, I figure black is the way to go, that way I do not have to worry about the glare / no glare debate. Nautilus also offers many different custom colored reels and parts if you really want to spend extra cash.

As mentioned earlier, both of these reels are very light which was important to me when balancing rods that are generally lighter than most others on the market. I emailed Nautilus to ask them about the drag on the original FW and they replied that the reel would distribute a max of 5 pounds of drag force. The new FWX seems to be the same. I'm also a fan of the aluminum drag knob. I prefer it over the plastic knobs on competitor's reels. I have no complaints and have been very happy with the quality of machining.

Last edited:

oregonism

Reaction score
If I can come up with the funds this summer, a FWX will likely be going on my next 8wt (mostly for winter steelhead, coho and the yearly bonefish trip). They seem like fantastic reels.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Revived and old thread vs starting a new one.

I am 99.9999% sure I am getting a FWX 3/4 for my Sage One 3WT tomorrow :D
Anyone have any experience with these in the silver finish ? Is it susceptible to dings and nicks easily like my copper evolution ?

Also any opinions on the finish as far as to shiny / reflective ? I can't imagine it is to bad but I'm bored and thought I'd ask.

Since I have Lamson's and Evolution's I want to try something new and this FWX is a beauty at a decent price point ( will save enough $ to buy the fabled Abel nippers hahahahah)

S

sbreech

Revived and old thread vs starting a new one.

I am 99.9999% sure I am getting a FWX 3/4 for my Sage One 3WT tomorrow :D
Anyone have any experience with these in the silver finish ? Is it susceptible to dings and nicks easily like my copper evolution ?

Also any opinions on the finish as far as to shiny / reflective ? I can't imagine it is to bad but I'm bored and thought I'd ask.

Since I have Lamson's and Evolution's I want to try something new and this FWX is a beauty at a decent price point ( will save enough $ to buy the fabled Abel nippers hahahahah)
I've had my silver FWX 3/4 for a couple seasons of heavy use....and it still looks like new. I take care of my reels, but they take the daily dunk in the river, sat down on the bank, etc etc...usual stuff. Tough reel, light weight, and will compliment the Abel nippers nicely. :D

comeonavs

Reaction score
I've had my silver FWX 3/4 for a couple seasons of heavy use....and it still looks like new. I take care of my reels, but they take the daily dunk in the river, sat down on the bank, etc etc...usual stuff. Tough reel, light weight, and will compliment the Abel nippers nicely. :D
Thank you very much,

I am assuming you don't find the silver finish to shiny or you probably wouldn't have bought it / fished it for tat long

S

sbreech

I wouldn't call the silver finish flashy at all - maybe a satin finish? Think silver of a Diet Coke 12 pack BOX, not the can, the box. And in reality, there is very little black objects that occur in nature, so when I have the option of non-blingy silver or black, I'll pick silver any day. That's not to say I don't have black reels, because I do...but I prefer the satin silver. My FW 5/6 actually has a silver frame with a black spool, and my two Bauers and Abel are all black...go figure.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I wouldn't call the silver finish flashy at all - maybe a satin finish? Think silver of a Diet Coke 12 pack BOX, not the can, the box. And in reality, there is very little black objects that occur in nature, so when I have the option of non-blingy silver or black, I'll pick silver any day. That's not to say I don't have black reels, because I do...but I prefer the satin silver. My FW 5/6 actually has a silver frame with a black spool, and my two Bauers and Abel are all black...go figure.

Well the shop owes you a commission , you sealed the deal for them.

Your stack O' reels makes me drool. I have one of those Bauers and they are so sweet. Glad to be adding a Nautilus to my arsenal tomorrow

PS nice subtle placement of those Abel nippers. I think I'm getting a pair tomorrow and a pair for my buddy for a birthday gift

comeonavs

Reaction score
Thanks for your help SBreech

Smooth handling reel in the shop, and super good looking , I can't wait til next Saturday to give her the real test

Last edited: